Chest is Taking Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Took a couple of days off this week to enjoy what could be the coolest temps we may see for some months. Of course I took some time to [STRIKE]play[/STRIKE] get in the shop. Last weekend I posted progress and finished hand fitting the dust panels.

First was a dry fit and milled the lower front and back rails. No pic of the latter, they can be seen in the last pics.

Dry_fit_002.jpg

Yesterday I started assembly. One panel at a time, clamped in and held square. It was too many pieces to try and assemble all at once.

Glue_up_Begins.jpg

First this morning I had to make a trip to Woodcraft. I had a odd number of 24 in clamps and needed one more. A little help from the misses and then some final assembly. I think she enjoyed it.

Final_glue_up_003.jpg

The case is now complete.

Final_glue_up_010.jpg

Now all we have to do is glue up the top and then there is the matter of 8 drawers. Oh, and buy some more lumber. I have plenty of cherry, but I just can not see using some of those long wide clear cherry boards for drawer sides and backs:no:. Will probably go with soft maple, the funny part is I may spend more on the secondary wood than I did on the cherry.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Looks like a great start to a very nice chest project. Keep the progress pics coming.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Now all we have to do is glue up the top and then there is the matter of 8 drawers. Oh, and buy some more lumber. I have plenty of cherry, but I just can not see using some of those long wide clear cherry boards for drawer sides and backs:no:. Will probably go with soft maple, thew funny part is I may spend more on the secondary wood than I did on the cherry.

I seem to recall some poplar for sale recently for $2/bdft. Maybe an option for you?

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
You may get more bang for the buck to buy & resaw 5 or 6/4 down for drawer parts. Usually any bow resulting from resawing doesn't present much problem over the short lengths.

Stephen

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The chest is looking good Bryan. :eusa_clap As Chris mentioned, poplar is a really good choice for drawer sides, and a lot cheaper.

Bill

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice work, so far!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Once you get one drawer all set, the other 7 should follow pretty quick. I find that once you 'nail' the setup, everything subsequent seems to go quick.

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress pics!

Wayne

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
And if you want to reduce future sticking of those drawers, recall the I.D.I.O.T rule.

Inside (of the) Drawer Is Outside (of the) Tree.

Most of the sides expansion will be directed to the drawer interior.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Brian, I never thought that I'd say this to a guy, but... you've got a nice chest! :gar-La;

Quartersawn material is one of your better choices for the drawer side boards, due to the dimensional stability. If you buy poplar, maple, or whatever, take the time to look through what's available to find the vertically grained boards.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That chest of drawers looks very nice, but one thing bothers me a little.

Is every drawer the same size?

I find it to be more visually pleasing if the drawers are progressively smaller as the near the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS