Cherry Finish ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen299

Dan Bowen
User
Have completed a bandsaw box made from a peice of cherry with very
nice figuring and color. Have rubbed in several light coats of tung oil which
really seemed to show off the color. I would like a little more shine without that poly-shine. Have never tried wax? Would it help.:eusa_thin

hutchwood

New User
dennis hutchens
i do a lot of cherry and apply a coat of minwax natural stain to the piece and i recently started using something like sam maloof uses on his furniture......mix equal parts of boiled linseed oil, tung oil, and satin poly...stir a lot.........use a rag or brush to apply and wipe off any excess with a soft rag........the more coats you apply, the better you're going to like it......it takes at least 24 hours drying time.....

good luck

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
i do a lot of cherry and apply a coat of minwax natural stain to the piece and i recently started using something like sam maloof uses on his furniture......mix equal parts of boiled linseed oil, tung oil, and satin poly...stir a lot.........use a rag or brush to apply and wipe off any excess with a soft rag........the more coats you apply, the better you're going to like it......it takes at least 24 hours drying time.....

good luck

That sounds very much like the finish I use on my chairs.:icon_thum I use 1 part urethane, 1 part mineral spirits and 1 part 50/50 tung & BLO.I have been pleased with it and am in agreement the more coats the better it looks and it does not have a layed-on look.

Jerry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
For bandsaw boxes I like to use either (or both) Zinnser spray shellac and/or Deft spray lacquer (semi-gloss). They are in rattle cans, which are great for smaller projects. Both will give you a nice semi-gloss finish that won't look to intense.
Dave:)

jglord

New User
John
I've recently tried the Beall Buffing system on several projects and have really liked the results. With a good base oil finish to bring out the color of the wood, the tripoli smoothes the surface and the wax gives a beautiful glow to the piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS