Cherry bowl

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
IMG_7897.jpeg
IMG_7899.jpeg
IMG_7902.jpeg
IMG_7906.jpeg
I’ve been off of the lathe for a bit and needed to get back in the swing. Pretty pleased with this little bowl. not quite finished with the finish and have to remove the tenon.
IMG_7897.jpeg
IMG_7899.jpeg
IMG_7902.jpeg
IMG_7906.jpeg

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Looks like it might leak...

I really like that slight hollowing of the rim, gives it a nice multidimensional feeling.
Thanks. Either you or Chris G gave me the guidance to establish the rim before removing the bulk of the interior and then leave it. That kept ringing in my ears as I wasn’t sure how stable this would be when I got serious about the excavation. It all worked out.

finishing was tricky. as I applied shellac to the interior is would leak out and show up on the exterior. easily cleaned up but a few more steps than anticipated

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Turning that would have increased my blood pressure a bit. Good job!
I tried something new this time. I didn’t want epoxy or CA fillers for a variety of reasons. So I injected paraffin wax into the voids to create a continuous volume to turn. I don’t know if it did anything to structurally bind things together, but it made cutting across the big voids smoother. When I was done I heated it with a heat gun on low and the wax flowed out. Then I wiped it down with alcohol to dissolve any wax residue.

It was kind of a “what if” process, but seemed to work.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS