Checking in from Hubert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takarin

New User
Takarin
Greetings all. Just thought I'd drop a quick not to introduce myself. My name's Tony, and I am a woodworker. I live in Hubert, NC (near Camp Lejeune). I'm an active-duty Marine of 17 years (retirement is close at hand!) and I work in communications.

I've been into woodworking for a few years now. There's been some stops and starts... work can get in the way sometimes. This winter, I blew the dust off of my tools and got the shop up and running. Nothing fancy, just 1.2 of my garage. I don't have Laguna or Jet tools... but I make it work. In just a few weeks I've built the following:

• Small picnic table for my 2 y/o.
  • Router table out of the out-feed table on my table saw - with fence and dust collection port!
  • Zero-clearance insert for my table saw.
  • Installed a vise on my workbench.
Currently, I'm refinishing our coffee table. Just got finished sanding everything down and I'm ready to stain and finish. Going with Red Mahogany stain. I'll probably finish it with 2-3 coats of shellac and 2 coats of poly on the top.

Upcoming projects: Refinish the matching end tables. Build a book shelf. Revisit a display table I built a couple of years ago (my first attempt at mortise-and-tenon construction).

Looking forward to interacting with everyone. I've heard a lot fo good things about this community.

Tak

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Tak, I am glad you could join us. It sounds like you give a new meaning to the Military saying..."We do more before 6:00 am than most people do all day" You've been busy. I look forward to your input in the forums and hopefully seeing some pictures of your work. You can start with the router table set-up in your out-feed table, if you got any pictures.
See you around!!

Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site. This is a great group of folks. Please feel free to jump in at any time. :icon_thum

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome to our playpen, Tak. Thank you for your service to our country.:notworthy:

Don't hesitate to jump in with questions or suggestions.

I support Camp Lejune and visit there a couple of times each year. I'll have to look you up next time I'm down there...

Semper Fi

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Great to have you with us Tak! Thank you for your service!! :icon_thum:icon_thum This is great place to unwind and ask questions and gloat about new tools or projects. Jump right in! :eusa_clap

Takarin

New User
Takarin
Thanks for the warm welcome, all!

Here are a couple of pictures:

This is a small picnic table that my father-in-law and I built. My wife had one when she was young, and she wanted our son to have one too! Poor picture, but the finish is 3 equal parts Early American, Red Mahogany, and Cherry stains. (We wanted a specific look). I have one more round of sanding and poly to go.

img041.jpg

Here is the Router Table:

I ran across an article on Fine Woodworking.com about an easy, DIY router table. I took that idea and adapted it to my needs. I figured that I had all that real estate on my outfeed table...

I bought a Rousseau router table insert from Woodcraft in Tampa. Then, I just cut a through hole and rabbeted the edge so it is flush. I built the fence out of 1/4 pine from Lowe's with a small box on the back for dust collection. The biggest problem was finding the right screw holes on my Ryobi :)wmad:) router. The whole setup cost me less than $70, 4 hours of my time and 2 trips to the hardware store.

Life is so much better with a router table!

img042.jpg

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Tony!!!!

1st and foremost. Thank you for your Service!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

2nd - Retirement is pretty good as a woodworker.:wsmile::wsmile:

Sometimes I find refinishing a piece of furniture is far more stressful than building from scratch:embaresse:embaresse . I wish you lots of success and look forward to seeing pictures of the results.

Lots of talented folks here to help in many, many ways.

Post often and by all means stay safe and have fun.:wsmile:

Wayne

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Welcome, Tak. I live not too far from you - in Newport. If you're down this way be sure to give me a heads up, and stop by.

Matt

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hey Tony, welcome to NCWoodworker! In the "its a small world" department, I was just down at Lejeune this past Sunday visiting my wife's nephew, who also works in Comms... Do you know Chris Bartfield?

Both of your projects look pretty good! There's nothing like the satisfaction of making something yourself, especially when you make it well. I predict that you're really going to enjoy that router table!

Regards,

Scott

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the sawdust pile, Tony! And thanks for your service to our country. Happy to have you here and we look forward to your input to the forums.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NCWWer, Tak!
Hubert is a nice [strike]town[/strike] place :icon_thum
Soon it will be as large as Stella :mrgreen:

Regards from an ex-jarhead,
Roger

SRhody

New User
Stacey
Semper Fi, Welcome Aboard!. Great place to learn and share. If we can manage a few more out this way maybe pull together a shop-crawl....:eusa_thin

fergy

New User
Fergy
Welcome. I just sent a crew out today to Camp Lejeune for your "event" on Friday. Make sure to enjoy the publicity and the announcement. :icon_thum

Takarin

New User
Takarin
Oh man, you live right by World Timber Corp. Lucky you! And...welcome aboard :)

Yeah, I recently found them on the internet... Unfortunately, I think they are geared toward wholesale sales. 250 BF minimum or something like that.

Still investigating...

Welcome. I just sent a crew out today to Camp Lejeune for your "event" on Friday. Make sure to enjoy the publicity and the announcement. :icon_thum

Not looking forward to that craziness. I might take the day off... ;)

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Tak....Thanks for your service. I am glad you found our saw dust pile. If you have any question just ask. We know it all.:rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS