Changing Table begun. Some progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
My daughter's been wanting me to build her a changing table and with the grandbaby's due date 7 to 8 weeks away maybe I'd better get my behind in gear. Both my daughter and the CEO want it painted white so we're going with birch ply and trim out the face and top with poplar.

First make a jig for sheetgoods and cut them to rough size with the circurlar saw.

Changing_Table_001_edit.jpg

After getting panels to size and square and being very dissapointed with my last attempt at dados on the TS with a poor quality dado set It's off to WWSupply in Graham for a 3/4 ply size router bit. The nice gentleman asked me if that would be all I told him I would love to take alot more but I didn't want to end up divorced at the end of the day.

Very pleased with the results this time bottems nice and flat and edges much more crisp, a couple of small goofs but I'll be able to hide them. Then time to quit for a while and go cool off, just to dadblame hot.

Changing_Table_007_edit.jpg

Now on to the dry fit.

Changing_Table_010_edit.jpg

Fit was better than expected and if all goes well will get some glue on in the morning and get to The Hardwood Store and pick up some Poplar.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Re: Changing Table begun

Great start, looking good. Are you making it up as you go along or do you have a plan to work from? How well did the ply fit in the dados cut with the undersized ¾" ply bit???
Dave:)

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member

Dave I basically drew up a rough sketch using the deminsions of a changing table the misses saw at Wal-Mart online and have a pattern that I can modify to give the top a bit of dressing up as well as help with keeping the child from rolling off. Creativty is not one of my stronger suits so I tend to borrow ideas from other places and/or modify them.

The bit was a 23/32 and the ply was a touch wider than the dado but I understand ply does vary a little in thickness. I was able to widen the dado by sticking a strip of masking tape on the side of the router base and making a second pass after that the fit was just right.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Very good idea on the masking tape. I would have done it the hardway and moved my fence.:eusa_doh:.

Nice progress on the table. Look forward to seeing more as you move forward.:icon_thum

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Progress has been slow but with a day off and nowhere to go. The carcuss has been glued up and some lumber milled to size its time for some more glue and assembly.

Changing_Table_016_edit.jpg

For the top I basically used the pattern Wood Magazine had for cradel plans and rounded over with a 3/8 radius bit and reinforced the joints with Miller Dowells.

Changing_Table_018_edit.jpg

A few more piceses to glue on the face and we're ready for paint cause the little fellow will be here in about 4 weeks.

T

toolferone

Bryan, It is coming along nice. Is it going to be open in front or will there be doors?

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Tom it will initially be open in the front. I can add doors later, for now I lack the tools to build doors with. The back has been cut but will be attached last so that it will be a little easier to paint.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice. Solid construction on the bottom, and I really like the look of the top, no sharp edges and very elegant. So, was this plywood really 3/4" thick, or did you use one of those smaller bits? I've been thinking about getting one, but plywood seems to vary a great deal.

Bas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS