Cedar barrel duck call with bloodwood insert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Thought you guys might enjoy looking at my recently finished double reed duck call. I used cedar for the barrel and bloodwood for the insert and cut my own reeds. Needs a couple more coats of finish however.

IMG_1081.JPG

Cedar_barrel_and_bloodwood_insert.JPG

cedar_and_bloodwood.JPG

ebarr

New User
Wayne
good looking call. I had to go to the gallery to see them.

How does the double reed sound. I am not a hunter but I make some for a hunter friend of mine.

Truefire

New User
Chris
The double reed is really quacky, more ducky and mellowed than a single reed which seems to be just louder and a little too much for hunting puddle ducks in close quarters. The single reed is especially loud and spooks ducks when in a swampy area surrounded by trees, the acoustics just bounces around.

The double reed within a wooden insert produces duckier sounds. Sometimes i have to disassemble my call just to ensure mr greenhead hasn't crawled up in my call somehow or another.

Wouldl love to purchase some woods for turning if anyone has any to offer for sale. 1.5 x 1.5 x 4" long. as well as 1 x 1 or 1.25 x 1.25 x whatever lengths. Thanks. Will pay you guys for it.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Very nice call, I've turned one duck call, but really don't know how to use one so I might never know if it sounds good.
Jack

Truefire

New User
Chris
Very nice call, I've turned one duck call, but really don't know how to use one so I might never know if it sounds good.
Jack
Jack there really very easy to use, if someone you know could ever show you the basics, you'll have it from there. I promise. With a little practice from then on and you'll surely sound like those beautiful creatures that take to the wing so majestically.

Take care Jack.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wouldl love to purchase some woods for turning if anyone has any to offer for sale. 1.5 x 1.5 x 4" long. as well as 1 x 1 or 1.25 x 1.25 x whatever lengths. Thanks. Will pay you guys for it.

Chris don't tell me you've already burnt through that box I sent you. If you need more I am sure that I can put together another one.
Great looking call :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap What are you finishing it with?
Dave:)

Truefire

New User
Chris
I have finished the call thus far with Hut Krystal Coat from Hut Products. Would like to try a certain type of wax that can be melted and the call dipped in the wax, but for the life of me at this moment, I cannot remember the name of the type of wax used.

Supposedly it will give it a water-resistant finish when being used in the harsh duck hunting type weathers.

Yes, in regards to the wood, I would love to buy another box from you my man, no I haven't used all of the wood as of yet. I simply want some more of that Padauk and bloodwood. Where in the world did you purchase that wood from. It is beautiful and works like it was born to be worked on a lathe. Amazing results. Leaves absolutely no trace marks of lathe tools. Neatoo....

thank you buddy, chris:icon_thum:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS