Carving tools need to carve wheat leaves in handsaw handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmc

New User
powell
I know absolutely nothing about wood carving !! I am currently refurbishing a few handsaws that require a new handle. The current handle has been broken and about half of wood is missing. The blade is in excellent condition.
I can shape a new handle fairly well, but need help in carving wheat leaves.

I realize this is a fairly simple task, but need help in the type of tools needed (gouges etc).

Thanks for your time for information on this simple carving task!!

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Powell,

You are probably looking for a chip carving knife. Mark's link shows a good example. You can also google chip carving and get soem ideas.

Steve H.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I need to go look at one of my hand saws closer but I would think that a simple v-tool and/or veiner would do most of the work. This is really just relief carving.

- Ken.

Len

New User
Len
My grand-dad just used the Sheepsfoot and Spay blades of his old Stockman type pocket knife for that kind of carving.

Len

kenmiller59

New User
Ken
Hey Powell.........If you have a "Woodcraft" store nearby, the will have what you need. Whether it is a carving knife, v-tool, gouge or whatever. Looks like there is a "Woodcraft" store in Nashville. They will have "Pfeil, Hock, Flexcut & Woodcraft brand. "Hock" is the best for me. A chip carving knife will run from $15-$35. I am a carver and my advice is it's worth it to spend a little more and get a better knife. It will come pre-sharpened and hold an edge longer. Good luck Dude!!!

pmc

New User
powell
Hey Powell.........If you have a "Woodcraft" store nearby, the will have what you need. Whether it is a carving knife, v-tool, gouge or whatever. Looks like there is a "Woodcraft" store in Nashville. They will have "Pfeil, Hock, Flexcut & Woodcraft brand. "Hock" is the best for me. A chip carving knife will run from $15-$35. I am a carver and my advice is it's worth it to spend a little more and get a better knife. It will come pre-sharpened and hold an edge longer. Good luck Dude!!!

Thanks, I will see the owner of Nashville tonight at our woodworking club. He attends most of our meetings & no snow.

pmc

New User
powell
thanks for the advise. It appears the knives must be sharpened frequently, and be careful in placing the thumb.

kenmiller59

New User
Ken
Cathy's right about the shapening, sometime stropping or honing may be necessary on some new tools, Woodcraft should have strops also.......Hock knives come scary sharp and probably only need stropping every 20-25 minutes of solid carving......Awesome product!!!..Pfeil products are high quality also, I use Pfeil gouges, they come extremely sharp also!...You might want to pick up a kevlar glove and a thumb guard or you may end up with "redwood".....LOL....Take your time and enjoy carving!!!!.. Hope your meetin last night
was great!!!!!............................Ken - Concord, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS