Carve 'n Crop in Cary - Social Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
My wife and I came up with this idea and I wanted to float it to see if there is some local interest. We would like to host a potluck or cookout one late afternoon/evening with some hobby time - I carve, she crops. We are hoping there may be a few others out there with similar paired interests. I am trying to avoid sounding sexist, but most likely it will be guys carving on the deck or in the garage and wives scrappin' in the play room. I have a couple of power carvers - one rotary, one reciprocal if someone wants to try either (I would probably be knife carving) and other carving tools if someone is interested but doesn't have carving tools. My wife has a Cricut (pronounced "Cricket") and a lot of other scrappin' tools and materials and we would have a fair amount of table space. Let me know if you are interested. BTW - a word of warning - if your wife scraps and doesn't have a Cricut, she may be talking to you about her tool budget on the way home. :)

EDIT - A couple of additional notes - in case it wasn't clear, if you just have an interest but no tools or experience, you are still welcome. Same goes for scrappin'. For the curious, a Cricut is like a CNC for paper.

rita541

New User
rita cunningham
I am trying some carving and would like to see if the carving tool uou have is worth me buying. so if you get enough replys to you thread let me know. Sorry but I don't scrap.
rita

CarvedTones

Andy
I am trying some carving and would like to see if the carving tool uou have is worth me buying. so if you get enough replys to you thread let me know. Sorry but I don't scrap.
rita

So far, the crickets are chirping as far as replies go. I will bump it a couple of times before I let it die. What tool are you interested in? My rotary carver is an off brand wannabe that doesn't have the high speed that the Foredom and others do. It still gives you a sense of what it is like to carve with a hand piece and foot pedal. The reciprocating carver is the Weecher hand piece powered by a Dremel.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Andy, if only weren't 2 hours apart. Sounds like a great time!

You did however give me a good idea about a Christmas present for my bride.

CarvedTones

Andy
Yeah, Charlotte is a bit far. Be sure to check the models and options; I think they still sell the older model my wife has and their newer one that has a few differences and a higher price. She also has the connectivity software/cable (was not included with the old one, but came out later).

Something else for others who may be reading and thinking about it - we have school age kids and will be doing something to occupy them; a few more in the mix would not be a big deal.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
To borrow a phrase from Rick Cornell it is a SIG (special interest group). Rick has been talking about starting one up for the scroll sawers in the Triangle. Andy I would be willing to give your idea a shot.

CarvedTones

Andy
To borrow a phrase from Rick Cornell it is a SIG (special interest group). Rick has been talking about starting one up for the scroll sawers in the Triangle. Andy I would be willing to give your idea a shot.

Scrolling would be great, but right now I only have the clunker of a saw and it might be more of a pain to transport a scroll saw. I would certainly be open to various types of wood craft if we can work out logistics, especially if it gives the idea a wider appeal. Scrolling, turning and carving are quiet enough for some socailizing to be going on (although the reciprocating carver is a mini jack hammer). I don't expect to get a lot done - it's likely to be largely just hanging out and talking shop. :wsmile:

A big motivation for me is to set up something social that involves both my wife and I where neither of us is the "tag along".

CarvedTones

Andy

Another bump, with a possible date and more info. I think Oct 4th or 5th would work for us.

My "special interest" in this is mostly common interest socializing that includes my wife; I am not hung up on what kind of woodworking is going on. My wife does really hope to get some work done on a scrapbook as well as socializing. It's a little safer to gab while organizing a page of photos than while operating a saw. :saw:

I am offering to host just because I want to organize something like this, but I am not hung up on that either. If someone else wanted to host to show off a big toy in their shop or your wife likes to scrap but isn't "portable" about it (my wife is; she does a monthly crop at the church), we can pack up and come over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors