Cartridge Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
I've decided that I want to try a cartridge case pen.

From your experience, which caliber casing best sizes with pen nibs to create a smooth transition between the neck of the cartridge and the nib?

Any other advice for someone who has turned a number of "traditional" pens but wants to try a cartrudge?

Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I know very little about ammo, but I think that any thing in the .30.... range works fine with the nib end.
.308 are very popular, but they create a pen that is a little top heavy. The casing is shorter than the standard slimline tube. 30-06 are often used and it makes a pen that has good proportions, but the casing is a bit longer than a SL, and the transmission has to be pushed in pretty far for the pen tip to protrude properly. Eagle has a method where he cuts a tenon that fits inside of the casing which adds extra strength to the pen at the union.
Eagle hopefully will come along soon and offer his wisdom on this subject. He makes some of the best casing pens I've ever seen (pens in general 8-O)
Dave:)

gator

George
Corporate Member
.308 is the perfect size for slimline tips. It is about 1/16" or less shorter than the normal tube. If you use something relatively heavy for the top then the pen seems more balanced. What I do for fit (tube to cartridge) is to make sure I drill the hole in the primer end to the OD of the tube and I mount about a 3/4" long piece of wood to the end of the tube and turn it down to fit inside the neck of the cartridge (I have found that cherry works best for turning it that thin). I slip the tube in from the neck end. For the top, I custom cut a tube that is the length of the normal tube plus the thickness of the centerband and then leave the centerband out of the pen when assembling. It all comes out the same length of a normal slimline. As a side note, I have made some out of copper fittings and some out of gunmetal fittings (thinking that the gunmetal looked about the same color of lead). At craft shows I find that most people prefer the copper.

George

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I bore out the primer end of a 30-06.308 are too shirt to support the transmission and the pen looks like Bluto.
I use Euro tubes which are an 1/8th of an inch shorter than the casing.
I tube a piece of maple and turn to fit the neck and the size hole I drilled in the end of the casing.Usually the wooden core is a press fit but a dab of epoxy secures the core.
I have tried other methods such as arrow shafts, drilling, drilling through the primer only and all have shortfalls.
A wooden core is lighter than arrow shafts, and keeps the tube con centric to the casing.
A 1/8th ten on the lower end of the upper tube to fit in the end of the casing makes a pen that is structurally sound.
USe what ever method you wish.
I have been making them this way for 3 years and am not limited to whick kit or casing I Use.
Drilling out the 308 and using 7 mm pens you are stuck with slim lines.
I sell more Parkers than anything else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS