Card Scraper Holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I asked here and did about 30 minutes of googling and couldn't find a good design for a scraper holder.

So, as usual I just did what I thought might work.

IMG_02472.JPG

It still needs a pretty shirt and tie but it works like a Wall Street Banker. Just scrapes a little off the top.

IMG_02482.JPG

IMG_02492.JPG

I'll round the corners, sand it all over and apply my 40 step finishing system next week.

The big wing nuts make a comfortable handle and it only takes 6 seconds to change the blade. That was one of the complaints I read about, most of the holder designs take too long to change the blade position or take it out to sharpen.

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
Very cool - And looks like it would work with any size scraper too - A Big plus over units like the veritas. Next step to talk to a patent atty?

timf67

New User
Tim
Mike,

You gonna post a how to? I would love to make one for myself and might be able to figure it out from the pic, but it would be easier if you gave details...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
No patent on this. I may make a picture tutorial if there is enough interest. And a plan drawing if wanted. But really, it is so simple...

Thanks Gregory!

And everyone.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
No patent on this. I may make a picture tutorial if there is enough interest. And a plan drawing if wanted. But really, it is so simple...

Thanks Gregory!

And everyone.

Hi Mike.

I am a novice when it comes to using card scrapers, but have to admit that I am hooked on how great they work.

One question.

Your scraper holder design is like some commercial ones I have seen, in that they bend the scraper into a curve when secured in the device. Is using it in a bent/curved posture make it cut any better? I usually just tip the edge between 45 and 90 degrees and draw or push it.

Thanks for sharing!

Wayne

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When I use them by hand only, I tip it away about 45 to 60 degrees and bend it with my thumbs. That does make it cut a lot better. But, it takes a toll on my thumbs if I'm doing it for very long. I may have a little too much bend on this holder, I have to try it out this afternoon.

The thing I do like about this is I can pull as well as push. It is very hard to put in the bend and pull with just my fingers. We'll see how this works and modify if needed.

I think it works better with a bend because you are concentrating pressure in a smaller area and bending also stiffens the blade making it chatter less.

I am able to get curls of thin shaving about a foot long just using my hands alone.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
IMG_02854.JPG

IMG_02843.JPG

IMG_02823.JPG

It works great!

I can even use it with one hand and use the other hand for an edge guide.

I plan to make some small wood wing nuts (embed a nut in a rectangular piece of wood) instead of the large plastic ones, they do get in the way.

If you look close you see the wavy line I made cutting this freehand. I plan to build a jig to make a smooth cut. I want one or two more.

I even tried a swan neck shaped scraper and it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS