Capacitor on my Jet Mini 1014 (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluewing92

New User
Norm
Just fried another capacitor on my Jet Mini 1014. This is the second one in a year. The first one I admit that I had an extension cord that was probably to light to carry the load and therefor overheated. :slap: But since then I have had the Mini plug directly into a 20-amp outlet. After replacing the first capacitor it ran warm to the touch but you could keep your hand on it without discomfort from heat. I am also the kind of guy that cleans up around the lathe after every project or the end of the day. This includes vacuuming all around the lathe as well as blowing out the motor and vacuuming the motor threw the vents to make sure nothing restricts the airflow. Today I was turning small tops and Christmas ornaments and I didn’t notice anything until it started smoking and smelling. After I determined it was the capacitor again I took of the capacitor cover and found the capacitor had melted inside the cover but since it was still warm I was able to pry it out with a small screwdriver with no damage to the cover.
Sorry for venting but I would like to hear from anybody who has had the same problem with Jet Mini 1014 or any hints as the what the cause may be.
I am presently researching the purchase date of the last capacitor before calling Jet.
Thanks for reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS