Can't stop burning wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudreyO

New User
AudreyO
I am having a lot of fun with wood burning. Dave fixed me up a piece of buggy poplar and I played around with it a little today. Anyway, I will post what I have done so far. If nothing else, I am having a great time. I want to look into the more transparent paints Brian was referring to. Unfortunately I have not had time to look at all of the links.

Birdhouse_and_Aud_s_second_burning_0061.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Boo, I like how you worked with the grain pattern of the wood to give depth to the nose and eyes. I look forward to seeing how this piece turns out :icon_thum
You go girl!!!

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
HHHHHHMMMMMM, is that the poplar from Salisbury?? Looks great Audrey!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
HHHHHHMMMMMM, is that the poplar from Salisbury?? Looks great Audrey!

Yep, fit for burning :gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La; I am glad that I can put it to some good use. I don't mind my wife practicing her burning on this stock.

Dave:)

T

toolferone

Audrey, I have a small (professional?) wood burner with temperature control on it that you are welcome to borrow to see if you like that style. I think I only have 2 hand pieces with it. I use it sometimes to sign and date my work. I don't use it much at all. Let me know and keep up the great work!!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like you're off to a good start - and you've gotten better at those curved lines.
Be careful you don't 'burn out', though.:gar-La;

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Very nice AudreyO, you're learning fast and already doing really good work.:icon_thum
As Dave pointed out it looks like you're already learning to "read" the wood and use/implement it's features into your design. It's real important to be able to use, avoid or even hide grain or defects in the wood so it doesn't provide unwanted "input" on your design. We've even hidden plugs in BB by making sure it was in the field of a checker board that was going to be more "painted" than stained. It's helped reduce waste and saved me a trip back to Wurth last minute. Then again had I verified they'd pulled the right sheet before I ripped it in half I wouldn't have had a side with plugs to begin with! :BangHead::BangHead:

Cathy,
Neat. Transparent paints??????
It's not really transparent per se, it's colored/tinted WB stain so you can easily control its degree of coloration/stain by wiping after applying for lighter, like a normal wipe on stain, or darker by applying like paint and not wiping. You can also easily mix/dilute colors, and build up layers to obtain any effect you desire.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS