Can this door be saved? Looking for help in Apex

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
I just moved into a new house that has an existing detached garage. I had not noticed the condition of this door before, but now I realize it needs to be repaired or replaced. FYI, the garage was an as is part of the deal. If anyone in the Apex area does this kind of work and would like to give me a quote, please contact me.

Attachments

• IMG_5297.jpeg
    IMG_5297.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 230

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
Is it the door that's out of square or the door frame?

If the door, you could likely temporarily straighten it with some threaded rod and a turn buckle

andrew@carolinafarmstead

New User
Andrew at CFS
Andrew, I guess I am trying to determine what it would cost. If we are close to the cost of a new door, I would probably go that route.
I guess it would depend on whether or not you'd need it refinished. The method I would use would be to inject glue ito the cracks, lay it out on a jig, and clamp it square and then reinforce any weak spots with dowels, screws, bolts, or whatever. If you have a table big enough to fit it, and some sort of syringe and some titebond 3, you could prob do all that. I work out of a shop in Snow Hill. I'd need to coordinate with my boss on price and it'd be easiest if you were able to drop it off.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
put a straight edge on the top of the door. If its even, your jamb is out of square. I really doubt anyone would create a door writh a wonky edge like that

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
A new door for that opening will have to be trimmed fit to the opening. Four mortises will have to be made for the hinges plus a deadbolt and a lockset hole will have to be properly drilled. I've done a few entry doors and have found it to be a major pain but that's because I'm no real carpenter.
Maybe consider borrowing a few good long clamps and try to fix the existing door yourself. Either way, it is going to be a labor intensive job.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
another advantage of a new door is better insulated, sealed windows… will save more money (energy costs) long term than the cost of replacement.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Habitat for Humanity ReStore often has used (sometimes new) doors that are in good condition. I've gone that route several times and saved money.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I just moved into a new house that has an existing detached garage. I had not noticed the condition of this door before, but now I realize it needs to be repaired or replaced. FYI, the garage was an as is part of the deal. If anyone in the Apex area does this kind of work and would like to give me a quote, please contact me.
Maybe it’s the angle, but that door looks like it’s short from cutting the bottom rail.

Measure it and price out a new steel door like Casey recommended—a half lite 3/0 door with jamb is less than $400 out the door from Lowe’s:

36-in x 80-in Steel Half Lite Left-Hand Inswing Ready To Paint Single Front Door with Brickmould Insulating Core https://www.lowes.com/pd/ReliaBilt-...th-Brickmould-4-9-16-In-Jamb-Depth/5013497449

I’m guessing just a half lite slab would be around $200, but I usually check marketplace and Craigslist for slabs. The last one I bought was a 2 panel 3/0 door for $25 with hinges. Homeowner didn’t like it, so the builder replaced it with another.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is this door in a wood frame building with a wood floor system, or a concrete slab? I would suspect foundation settlement as a possible cause before I went to replace the door. Look closely at the casing on the left side and see that the upper edge of the miter joint at the top is open. If it's a wood frame floor, a few shims and a jack will fix it.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
It's the door. Look at the opening joints. Better to replace it with steel or fiber clad. I would replace the whole unit, frame, door and trim. If the door is this bad the frame ain't far from falling apart as well. Replacing the whole unit is the easiest, fastest and likely cheapest solution.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
After zooming in on the photo, I'll have to agree with the door replacement. You can even see where the panels have de-laminated and are shifting. But don't be surprised if a framing square won't ride the jamb a little too...........

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
You could repair that door, but while that’s happening you will be without a door. Or you could just buy a door unit and replace jamb and all.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS