Can this be salvaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Today, I bought a 2" foam, hook & loop sanding pad at Klingpors. I was using it in a drill to sand the inside of a bowl and, apparently, got carried away. The pad got hot enough to melt the tar-like substance that holds the pad on the foam. It slid about 1/3 of the way off-center. I tried to slide it back before it cooled but had no luck. Now that it is cooled, it tears the foam if I try to remove it. Even if I was able to get it off without tearing the foam, what type glue would be used to repair it. I imagine I just tossed $8.95 out the window to be followed by another $8.95 for another one. Oh well, I was "discount qualified" so I guess I only tossed $8.05 (small consolation). Ideas anyone?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Today, I bought a 2" foam, hook & loop sanding pad at Klingpors. I was using it in a drill to sand the inside of a bowl and, apparently, got carried away. The pad got hot enough to melt the tar-like substance that holds the pad on the foam. It slid about 1/3 of the way off-center. I tried to slide it back before it cooled but had no luck. Now that it is cooled, it tears the foam if I try to remove it. Even if I was able to get it off without tearing the foam, what type glue would be used to repair it. I imagine I just tossed $8.95 out the window to be followed by another $8.95 for another one. Oh well, I was "discount qualified" so I guess I only tossed $8.05 (small consolation). Ideas anyone?

Where was it made?

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Don't know Jeff but I'd bet that both Chinese and American glue would melt if either got too hot.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Carefully reheat it, I have done this with other foam applications before.

M

McRabbet

Stuart,

Since it is already damaged, I'd try to reheat the pad using a hair dryer or heat gun to see if you can soften the "tar"/adhesive so it could be returned to its original position. Can't guarantee it will work, but you've got little more to lose...

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
If you can get it off you can use epoxy to put it back depending on the foam. some types of foam might melt with epoxy. I've had a few of the sanding pads you describe and none have lasted through 1 bowl. I gave in and got the sorby knockoff from woodcraft when it was on sale. it lasted a long time and it too came apart. epoxy fixed it and its still going strong after a years use. its the one that is on a handle and the pad spins freely. it does a good job and is much cheaper than a souix city angle drill.:thumbs_up

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Good ideas...I'll try them tomorrow and report back. Fred, can't visualize the one you said you got at Woodcraft. Maybe a pic would help,

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Having personally judiciously overapplied applied heat to things, I'd recommend indirect heat.

In this case, if you have a cast iron skillet, I'd put the pad in it, then heat the skillet via hair dryer or heat gun.

This gives you an even heat across the whole surface.

I think you might be able to use a gas stove, but electric might not be cool enough. You could use an electric stove top if you prop the skillet off the element or rest the skillet on another skillet at the lowest setting.

Another way is to put the skillet upside down on the stove top element. Then put your pad on the bottom (now the top) of the skillet. Only pickle here is this might get messy. As long as the heat is low, shouldn't be a problem.

To reapply, I'd recomend upholstery spray adhesive. 3M FoamFast #74 comes to mind. Its meant to deal with flexing and stresses in an upholstered foam cushion. Or, cheaper rubber cement.

Not that I know any of this from personal experience........ :p

Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would throw away the $8 pad while I'm still ahead.

Go get the Sorby which should last through at least one bowl.

Or do like I do and get a natural sponge made for washing dishes. Wrap the sand paper around it and sand hundreds of bowls without any glue to worry about.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I would throw away the $8 pad while I'm still ahead.

Go get the Sorby which should last through at least one bowl.

Or do like I do and get a natural sponge made for washing dishes. Wrap the sand paper around it and sand hundreds of bowls without any glue to worry about.

It's beyond repair. :BangHead: Mike has the right idea.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
While it pains me, I agree, Mike is right.

In the future, I'm going right to Mike for level setting. I won't mention how much time and effort I put into saving my $1 disposable paint brushes.......

Being cheap or frugal at the expense of sanity? Worse yet, when the fix costs more than total replacement of a disposable item.....

MIKE SAVE ME FROM MYSELF!!!!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS