Calling all sawyers

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

Okay I need some help figuring out the yeild on these ERC logs. I am also looking to have someone saw and dry it for a customer of mine so I can then build her a blanket chest. The logs are in Durham near Duke east campus. The big log is 12' long about 11" in diameter at the top and 16" at the bottom. The smaller log is 6' long 6" at the top and 12" at the bottom. The tree was cut down on December 18th. After taking the pictures I globbed on a coat of latex paint on the ends (does that help?). Thanks for any and all help on this.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tom, as is you'll probably get around 50-60 BF out of the larger log and around 8 BF out of the smaller one. You might get wider boards if you cut the top off of the larger long making it only 8'. The top diameter of the log determines the size of the cant once it's squared up.
My calculations are not scientific nor according to the Doyle scale, just a quicky volume calculation.
The paint on the ends will help no matter when it's applied. Luckily ERC dries well, and quickly.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

Tom ERC is a tough one to figure out - as you can tell by the picture of your logs there is a lot of bark inclusion, dote and taper. Dave is probably really close on his estimate.

Bout all I can tell you based on experience that a 16' 12" small end DIB yields around 80 BF of usable lumber, it should cant out to somewhere close to a 8x8. Some logs more, some logs less but that seems to be about the average for an 12" 16' long ERC log. Out of the 8x8 cant expect at least 2 boards if not more to have pith, that's the way it works on logs with lots of taper like ERC.

As for drying I don't believe I have ever seen anyone kiln dry ERC before - it's real dry coming off the log and air dries very fast.

As for the smaller log I see a lot of branches there, which will make for some big nasty knots. Although knots are desirable in ERC, big knots typically fall out when your sawing. So I don't think you would really want to try and cut anything with big branch sockets like that.

saw4you

New User
Jack
Hey Tom, I am in Rolesville, if you want to bring the 2 cedars to me I will saw them for you, it will not take long.

Jack

T

toolferone

Jack I am game, but tell me how much is that big one going to weigh? My 4 x 8 trailer has a 1500 pound max payload. Am I over that? How do I get it on the trailer?

J

jeff...

Jack I am game, but tell me how much is that big one going to weigh? My 4 x 8 trailer has a 1500 pound max payload. Am I over that? How do I get it on the trailer?

Dozer could load that for you :tongue100:

T

toolferone

Anybody got a come along I could borrow, or better yet DOZER where are you!

Hey Dozer, there might be some ERC bowl blanks for trade.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Tom, I've got a 5x10, 3500# tilt deck trailer if you need to borrow it. And I'll have to look to see if I still have a comealong. I think I'm not far from you, just up Capital Blvd of of Spring Forest. PM me if you're interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS