Calling all bowyer and bender wanabees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Using Bas' suggestion of a shop crawl with content, this post is to announce a Raleigh based workshop on Oct. 3rd.

Myself and Andy (carved tunes) are joining forces to offer a hands-on workshop on how to make a bow and the various methods of bending wood to form. Andy will be demonstrating how to carve and bend a recurve bow and will have you working on your own. I will demo how to easily steam bend the hoop for a bow back chair and will have you making your own shepherd crook walking sticks. That should consume the morning.

I will provide a catered lunch from a great local establishment. We will serve lunch in the shop to provide extra time if needed. As the bending forms and steam box take up some room, we are limiting the number of folks to ten.

I will keep track of the first 10 members indicate yes. To help lock in those that want to attend I am requesting all attendees make a $10 donation to the site - the lunch alone will be worth that!

My shop is in NE Raleigh only a few miles off Capital Blvd. - Details to follow.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great idea and generous offer, Phil & Andy :icon_thum
Have fun! Alas, I'll be at the coast that day :mrgreen:

Roger

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Hey, I'm a bowyer wannabe!:gar-La;

Seriously, I haven't been at it that long, but have had some success and will share what I have learned. Some things will apply to other things besides bows. I will do some show and tell about wood sources - both from the lumberyard and "on the hoof". Mostly that is about what sort of wood and grain patterns work and how to debark/dry/split logs, saplings or branches. Then tools and techniques for rough shaping and tillering (finer shaping to get the bend right). I am hoping to bring enough staves to be able to provide one to any interested participants. I will be using a jig to torture the ends of a bow after steaming it that is somewhat general purpose for slat bending.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
If you guys take it on the road I'd love to learn about haow to make a bow but that drive is just too much for me up and back in a day. I am old almost 44:rotflm:. Seriously I'd love to see this.

Thanks Mark

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'm in! 9/25 or 10/3, both fine with me.
Now all we need is a fletcher and we can shoot stuff! :rolf:

jarrett

New User
Jarrett
I'd be interested, but I can't make it on 9/25...but 10/3 is doable!

Sounds great...hope the date works out for me!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I'm in! 9/25 or 10/3, both fine with me.
Now all we need is a fletcher and we can shoot stuff! :rolf:

I am working on that; I am growing one...

HPIM0826.jpg

:gar-Bi

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
It sounds like fun! The only way I'm going to get my Dad to use a cane is if I make it for him. I can make the Oct 3 date.

Al Webster

New User
Al
Phil & Andy;

I've been visiting this site for a few weeks now and am new to anything other than cutting 2x4's to make rabbit cages and the typical homeowner stuff. I'm trying to set up a small starter shop in a 10 x 20 shed but caught your bowyer wannabe notice. I live in Wake Forest, so it would be an easy hop to your class. Having used bows many years ago, not currently owning one and having a wife who is an excellent shot with one, I'd be very interested in attending your class. Please let me know whether or not there's enough room for me to attend and let me know what I need to bring.

Thanks;
Al

lottathought

New User
Michael
I think I can do either....sadly the schedule at work not that far out yet but I suspect I will be free for either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS