Calculation of BF and cost

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I usually take length in feet X width X thickness and divide by 12.

So I have a cabinet of mixed lengths/widths of boards and want to get a guestimate of the number of bf. The cabinet is 48" long, 30" deep and 36" tall. Is there an easy way to get a general idea of the bf in the cabinet? If so, please how your math. Thanks
The short answer is: there is no math that will work.

You have to determine what widths and lengths are available at supplier first. You can do all the "math"then find out they don't have those width boards. Then everything goes out the window and turns into a fire drill. You're at the lumber yard scrambling your brains, you end up grabbing what "looks like more than enough." Hah!

Another way is to take the total width in your case 30" wide, choose some lumber you like, and lay them side by side till you get say 35" (for waste), then figure how many 50" lengths you can get out of the boards, then repeat so you have 4 panels. Same thing for the sides.

The most efficient way I know of is to use Cutlist, but again, you have to know what widths and lengths are available. Take your laptop with you and enter it into the materials and it will figure it out on the spot. I've never done it but it seems like it would work. I never use it for dimensional lumber, only sheet goods.

What ever you figure, GET 20% MORE. Yes! Because when you get to laying out lumber & grain matching, you'll find out real quick its not just a matter of board feet. Unless grain matching doesn't matter to you.....

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I usually take length in feet X width X thickness and divide by 12.

The short answer is: there is no math that will work.

You have to determine what widths and lengths are available at supplier first. You can do all the "math"then find out they don't have those width boards. Then everything goes out the window and turns into a fire drill. You're at the lumber yard scrambling your brains, you end up grabbing what "looks like more than enough." Hah!

Another way is to take the total width in your case 30" wide, choose some lumber you like, and lay them side by side till you get say 35" (for waste), then figure how many 50" lengths you can get out of the boards, then repeat so you have 4 panels. Same thing for the sides.

The most efficient way I know of is to use Cutlist, but again, you have to know what widths and lengths are available. Take your laptop with you and enter it into the materials and it will figure it out on the spot. I've never done it but it seems like it would work. I never use it for dimensional lumber, only sheet goods.

What ever you figure, GET 20% MORE. Yes! Because when you get to laying out lumber & grain matching, you'll find out real quick its not just a matter of board feet. Unless grain matching doesn't matter to you.....
I think there's been some mixup in the purpose of the thread. Cathy is trying to sell some lumber she has, not buy more.....

cskipper

Cathy
So, same thing ... measure length * width * height / 144 = Board feet
About 360 if totally full. take a percentage from there.
Here's where I'm confused. The wood in the wood rack doesn't even measure a total of 360 bf using the formula above, Something doesn't seem right,

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Here's where I'm confused. The wood in the wood rack doesn't even measure a total of 360 bf using the formula above, Something doesn't seem right,
Well, the cabinet can't be completely full. Lot's of air around and in between boards. So maybe 1/2 at most. 180BF

The rack is probably only 12 inches wide vs. 30 inches for the cabinet.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS