Calculation of BF and cost

cskipper

Cathy
I have some odd pieces of lumber to sell and need a refresher on calculating bf and calculating how much to charge for the board. e.g. a board that is 9" wide and 8'3" long and 1" thick. Cost per bf is $12.70. How much is the board? Please show your math. Thanks

cskipper

Cathy
W x L x T / 144 = bf
9 x 99 x1 = 891 / 144 = 6.1875 bf. x $12.70 = $78.58
Here's a calculator - Board Foot Calculator

$12.70 - Pretty fancy! What species?
Numbers are just made up. I'm not sure what's in the rack, could be ambrosia maple, Q/S sycamore, walnut, bloodwood, Braz. cherry, purpleheart (I'm sure of that)... There had been some yellowheart and tigerwood but they are smaller pieces. Some are small boards, some are larger. I hope to have someone tall enough to help me get it down to see what's there this week. Though I'm not sure I'll recognize it when I see it.

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Converting to inches is what was tripping me.
Yes understood. Take feet multiply by 12 = converted to inches then once you have a total, then divide by 144 [(sqft) 12x12=144]

Another fun fact- if you have fire wood and want to know how much you have- kinda the same thing- multiply in inches except height x length x width =a total divided by 1728 (12x12x12)
Now you have cubic ft. 128 cu ft = a cord.
E.G. 36" x 88" x 42" =133,056 / 1728 =77 /128= .60 of a cord

This measurement is also useful for concrete estimation if you do in inches you get very accurate quantities- H x L x W = a total divided by 1728 then divide by 27 to get cu yds
E.G. 4" thick 256" long x 65" wide =66,560 / 1728= 38.518 / 27 = 1.426 cu yds round up =order 1.5 cu yds

This is probably 1/3 of all construction math done in the field while building.

cskipper

Cathy
So I have a cabinet of mixed lengths/widths of boards and want to get a guestimate of the number of bf. The cabinet is 48" long, 30" deep and 36" tall. Is there an easy way to get a general idea of the bf in the cabinet? If so, please how your math. Thanks

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
48"(4') x 30"(2.5') x 2 = 1440 ÷ 144 =20 bd ft plus
(36 (3') x 30 (2.5') x 2 = 15 bd ft 7.5 a side= 15

Did not count the backing board or door fronts

add the 2 and it = 35 bd ft for the cabinet carcass

cskipper

Cathy
48"(4') x 30"(2.5') x 2 = 1440 ÷ 144 =20 bd ft plus
(36 (3') x 30 (2.5') x 2 = 15 bd ft 7.5 a side= 15

Did not count the backing board or door fronts

add the 2 and it = 35 bd ft for the cabinet carcass
What's the "x2"?

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Omnicalculator.com

This site has a bunch of calcators to include board feet calculation.

Just pick one and enter the data and you are done

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@cskipper - The easy answer with a "pile" of wood is to say "I would like $XX for it" and understand someone has to take it piece by piece and load it, so you may not realize the amount of money (you) value the wood for, but you get some money for it and the buyer is happy with the amount they paid you and the cost of their sweat equity... JMTC

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
@cskipper - The easy answer with a "pile" of wood is to say "I would like $XX for it" and understand someone has to take it piece by piece and load it, so you may not realize the amount of money (you) value the wood for, but you get some money for it and the buyer is happy with the amount they paid you and the cost of their sweat equity... JMTC
True enough. I don't like paying retail all the time but we have to realize as well that paying retail or close to it, is what keeps the store in business so we can have the other things we need later that the store carries.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
If I understand what you're asking—assuming ¾" carcass, one shelf, and a ½" back—the cabinet could hold 320 bf at full capacity.

(48"-1½")*(30"-½")*(36"-2.¼")/144

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
True enough. I don't like paying retail all the time but we have to realize as well that paying retail or close to it, is what keeps the store in business so we can have the other things we need later that the store carries.
Jim, @Westpacx3,
This is a member selling unwanted or excess wood, nothing to do with a store.

cskipper

Cathy
I know, but I have no idea of whether to charge $25 or $250 (obviously somewhere in. between). I thought having a clue what's there might help.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I know, but I have no idea of whether to charge $25 or $250 (obviously somewhere in. between). I thought having a clue what's there might help.
OH! I'll take it for $25 LOL!!!
I think it might... might be enough for you to post a couple pictures with approximate length, width and thickness dimensions, and list it for what you think it is worth / what you want to get out of it... make it easy on yourself.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Part of the problem with appraising wood like this is the buyer usually must take the lot "as is", and there are usually some boards that aren't usable at 100% of their length or width. Most groupings like this - unless they have been previously graded for quality - may have as much as 25% unusable or marginal quality.
Also, buyers will usually only pay the board foot price for lumber rounded to the nearest 1/2" i.e. 3/4, 4/4, and 5/4 stock usually goes for the nominal 1 sizing calculation of 1" without any multipliers.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS