Cabinet Finishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Termite

New User
Termite
Can anyone tell me how to finish kitchen cabinets so that they have a off white primary color and darker edges in the seamed area':BangHead: ? :slap: My wife saw a finished cabinet at Lowes and liked the antiqued look.

Thanks,
Termite

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If I am correct in my understanding the type of look you are asking about, it is called "Shading".

One method is by using an air brush to spray darker tinted paint/stain onto the edges or recessed areas, gradually reducing the number of coats as you move to the exposed area. This is called "shading" by Bob Flexner in his book "Understanding Wood Finishing". Although Flexner uses transparent stains in his descriptions, the method is the same with paints. For a finish like that, I would recommend you use lacquer because the tinted coating has to be sprayed on very thin and very light coats. This is harder to do with an enamel, and pretty much impossible with latex.

You may want to peruse a couple finishing books from the library before you start, and definitely set up some practice pieces first. Its pretty much a "get it right the first time" process, or you start over again.

Go

SRhody

New User
Stacey
.02 here, agree with Gofor, but another approach might be to use a glazing paint/compound on the areas you want 'worn' or darker. I've used this technique with some great results. I typically use a rag and rub on the glaze and wipe off the areas that are too dark. A small brush can help get into the molding corners/joints. If using a water based glaze, you can remove what you don't want even after it is dry...with a little elbow grease..the only catch is you will have to cover/seal in the glaze or it will rub off eventually.:swoon:

Good luck. I know I'm always challenged to meet my wifes version of what she thinks she wants. LOL.:help:

Jay Brewer

New User
Jay
What you are seeing at Lowes is a glaze. I do them all the time. Its a pretty complicated finishing schedule. First you will need to find a distributor that you can get lacquer tinted to the base color you want to use, or tint it yourself. I use ML Campbell because they have 100's of colors. Spray 2 or 3 coats of the base color until you get full coverage. You will have to seal the color coats with a clear lacquer coat. Then you apply the glaze where ever you want it, wipe off with a rag, let it completely dry. Spray 2 coats of clear lacquer to seal in everything.

Please don't skimp and use paint, it is just not tough enough for kitchen cabinets. Always try the schedule on scraps before starting on the real thing.

Hope this helps.

Wood Termite

New User
Termite
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the info ! It sounds like I will have a learning curve. I like challenges. I will let you all know how it goes. I have to build the cabinets first, so I will have alot of scraps to practice on.

Termite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS