cabinet door router bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I have never made Cabinet doors (raised panel). I have a porter cable 3 HP router in my router table. which bits should I get? I guess you buy matched sets? what brand should I get?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Freud :-D pick the rail and stile profile and RP profile you like, you can't go wrong.
Dave:)

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Freud :-D pick the rail and stile profile and RP profile you like, you can't go wrong.

thats easy enough. I wasnt sure if I need to order from Whitside or if Freud would be good choice.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Whiteside makes a fine bit set also. FWW just did a bit review and found the Whiteside bit to be the best performer. But that was only based on a cove and bead bit. I don't think that you would go wrong with either manufacture, although if you have a question about a Freud bit, member CharlesM, a Freud rep. and knowledgeable woodworker, is always available to answer your questions.

M

McRabbet

Jon, I have a number of bits from MLCS and Woodside USA that I've found to be pretty good values for less-than-production quantity work. Freud bits are quite expensive because they are very well made and expected to hold up for extensive production-level work. Here's a 6 Piece Cabinetmaker Kit from MLCS that costs less than $150 with a setup block for rail and stile bits. A similar set from Woodline USA is about $120 (this is a set I have) and it includes a setup block and DVD.

Both are good value for making raised panel doors and drawers.

Rob

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Jon,

I have the Freud set and I really like it. One thing you may want to think about is if you want to plane your panels down 1/4" more than the stiles and rails or whether you want to buy the panel cutting bit with the backcutter so you don't have to plane the panel. Good Luck!

Amy

Nativespec

New User
David
I will buy Freud or CMT, or Whiteside only when they are 20% off. The "cheap" bits from MCLS and Woodcraft work fine for me.

OriginalChong

New User
Al
I have never made Cabinet doors (raised panel). I have a porter cable 3 HP router in my router table. which bits should I get? I guess you buy matched sets? what brand should I get?

I have a set of raised panel bits from Makita if you want. I haven't used them because I bought two sets thinking to myself that would be a great idea... :angry4: . If you want, contact me about pricing. I haven't sold anything on here before so I don't know what the SOP is.

Here's a picture. 733342-alarge.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS