Cabinet dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I got all my materials, tools and jigs to build some cabinets for the shop. I've run into a bit of a problem with the conduit running down the wall. For example:

shopcabinet_1.jpg

(this isn't exactly the spot for which I'm making upper cabinets, but it will suffice for the explanation. Conduit runs down the wall every 4ft to a block of outlets. And no, my cabinets won't be this tall, this one was already there)

I'd like the cabinets (4 in a row) to have a nice continuous look to them, not be broken up by the conduit running down the wall. The layout is (cabinet)(conduit)(cabinet)(cabinet)(conduit)(cabinet). Or visually [XXX] || [XXX][XXX] || [XXX]

1. I can build the center cabinets to sit in between the two lengths of conduit, and use two 1" filler pieces between them and the outer cabinets. The filler pieces will cover the conduit. I'd probably use pocket screws to attach it on one side, hang that cabinet in place, hang the second one, and use some ordinary screws through the face frame into the filler piece.
  2. I can build the cabinets to sit in between the conduit, but have the face frames overhang an extra 1/2". This eliminates the need for a filler piece - combined the overhang will cover the conduit.
  3. I can build the cabinets to whatever dimensions I want, and simply use a 1" thick cleat on the back to have them sit in front of the conduit
Option1 is probably easiest, option 2 would probably have the most refined look. I'm not crazy about option 3 because it makes the cabinets seem really deep.

Thoughts?

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
As a strong believer in the KISS principle I'd either do option 3 or option 4. 4 being regular depth half cleats on either side of the conduit with a groove in the cabinet back to make up the difference.....

err, option 3.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Bas,

For sheet usage efficiency, I would design to have the cabinet panels at 11 3/4" and use option 2 to take care of the conduit.

Bob

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
option 2.:icon_thum by leaving a 1/2-3/4" scribe on the sides it will be easier to fit to the walls that prolly aint plumb too!:rotflm:

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Bas, I have built quite a few cabinets. Not saying I'm an expert or anything.:gar-La;.
If you are looking for symmetry and continuous flow I would probably build the the face frames, so that your styles (left and right) are the same.
Make them so, that once joined there is enough room for the conduit in between the cabinets.
You may have to make allowances for your center style also so that when you doors are mounted, (with what ever reveal you are going to have), everything will look equal.

If this isn't a big deal then, I would just make the styles to the left and right of the conduit wider to accommodate the conduit.

I probably would not use a filler as that just adds another seam to line up, especially since these are shop cabinets and you are custom building them.

HTH

MAC

DaveD

New User
Dave
I'd rerun the conduit/electrical. One drop wherever you can get it and then run horizontally under the cabinets. Wouldn't even need those junction boxes. Just use the outlet boxes. That would also let you get the cabinets up against the soffit/ceiling. Also you can't get to the top junction boxes without taking a cabinet down if you leave the electrical as is.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
OK, option 2 it is. I can get that perfectly symmetrical on all sides. And yes, on the end of the cabinets, a wider stile will make it easier to scribe things. I don't think they're that out of plumb, but even a slight bow will quickly add up to 1/4".

Dave - I did think about rerouting the conduit, but it's not simple in that specific area. As for accessing the junction boxes, I think I'll go with a french cleat to hang them making it easy to remove them should I ever need to run another line.

Bill - secret storage space??? I have enough problems finding my tools as it is! :rolf:

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Option 4 - Buy another new house with the conduit in the wall and cabinets already installed.

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

J/K, Bas!

Dudelive

New User
Dude
I like the secret stash idea best :thumbs_up
Option 2 and you will still have the secret stash only accessed from a drop down flap with a hidden latch. It would only be 1"+ or - but still a hidden area and yet all would look as though it was a single divider panel between the 2 cabinets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS