Buy a sprinkler head - total frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takarin

New User
Takarin
Hello all!

Well, I've decided that I want to install a sprinkler in my garage - just in case. My current dust collector is a Ridgid shopvac, so cleanup is a nightmare. I don't want to come home to a shell of a house because something arc'd and dust caught fire.

Anyway - I have everything I need - a plan, pipe, joints - except a sprinkler head. I cannot find them anywhere. Nothing at Lowe's, HD, Granger, etc. I can't even find them online.

I know they exist - I see them in every building I go into, but it appears that they spontaneously appear once the pipes are in place, because no one sells them!

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

Glennbear

Glenn
Re: Buy a prinkler head - total frustration

The likely reason you are not finding them is because a sprinkler system is an engineered project unlike a lawn sprinkler system. I would be hesitant to attempt to "home build" such a thing for that reason. One head is not likely to give you sufficient coverage even if you did build one plus there is the hazard of water on your electric powered devices. :wsmile:

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member

This is such a specialty item that you will not find at Lowes or HD. I would have thought Grainger would have them.

Right Here

And Here

Google Search

This is one of those items that is not generaly available to the public, at least in a comercial setting you have to be certified to install them even change an existing one out. I do not know about residential situations though. I would strongly recomend you do leave this to certified companies.

Trust me they do not magically appear at the end of the pipe :no:

medic

New User
john

sprinkler heads are activated by heat ,temp settings, there are so mant styles, they basicly spray up, down ,wall mount -what are you looking for? you will need a water line soley for your system. also check with your homeowners policy ,because they might not cover damages in case of false activation from a homemade system . how large of an area are you planning to cover ? how much water pressure do you have ,is it well or city. what are your gpm Don't want to burst you bubble ,but a sprinkler system is very expensive , to install and to maintain If you still want to pursue then send me a pm and I will help you out as much as I can.

Takarin

New User
Takarin
:notworthy: Gentlemen - your Google-fu is stronger than mine today. ( It was tired this morning and didn't even consider e-bay. (slaps self)

Excellent points all around! This is why it's always good to ask questions like this. Area = ~150 sq.ft. After 2 pipe bursts in my garage (no my doing!), I know the pressure is sufficient to cover this area. Didn't think about the insurance angle...

I got the idea from Fine Woodworking #174.

Sprinkler heads are readily available and inexpensive. (I paid a sprinkler contractor about $5 each for the ones I installed in my shop.) The total cost to plumb my 900-sq.ft. shop with sprinklers was less than $100, and it took me eight hours to accomplish— a small price for a lot of peace of mind.

Thanks guys. I may have to hold off on my plan until I can do more research.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
You can buy them from a sprinkler company, but, are you sure that you really want to do this?

Each standard ceiling sprinkler head will cover an area about 10' X 10' if it has 100 lbs plus water pressure and the pipes can flow 10 gpm to each head (2 heads = 20 gpm at 100 psi plus).

Will your shop temperature drop below freezing? If so, you will need a special dry pipe system with air pressure in the lines to hold the water check valve closed, and this pressure has to be maintained by a dedicated air compressor (not your shop air system). This isn't all, but is part of why this isn't such a good idea.

About 10 years ago I heard about a company that was trying to develop and market a home grade of sprinkler system, but I haven't heard anything since. The insurance industry has to approve any sprinkler system hardware and their system may not have made the grade.

You would be better off documenting the contents of your shop and taking a bunch of pictures of what is there to prove your loss. A home shop's value isn't considered very significant as insurance losses go. Your documentation and photos to prove what was in there before the loss, and making sure that your shop and it's contents are covered in your policy, is the best thing that you can do to protyect yourself. If you use your shop for commercial work, a regular homeowner's policy won't likely cover it. You will have to get business insurance to cover it. Talk to your insurance agent.

Charley
"A retired company fire marshal"

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Residential fire sprinklers are NOT the same as fire sprinkler systems for commercial occupancies.
The hydraulics are not the same, the water flow and pressure requirements are not the same. Most often residential sprinklers can be retrofitted to your existing residential water system. The majority of residential sprinkler systems are installed with plastic piping, and there MAY actually be self closing heads to prevent water damage once the fire is controlled.
Here is a link to a USFA site that may give you some insight.
Click here: USFA Residential Sprinklers
Need anymore information I can forward you some links or specifics.
Typically residential sprinklers aren't a do-it-yourself weekend project. Most insurance companies frown on the liability from good intentioned homeowners. The cost of residential fire sprinklers has dropped significantly in recent years, compared to days of old. Some places require residential fire sprinklers. Scottsdale Arizona has for long enough that their 10 year study report of the program was out a while back.

Last edited:

Dudelive

New User
Dude
Charley as well as others have made excellent points and one that don't need to be over looked is the electrical......a sprinkler system HAS to be designed to the point where there is NO possible way for water and electricity to mix.

Now there may be a way of looking into a chemical solution....messy but effective.

As mentioned above, talk to your insurance company first as to the contents of the structure....hobby is one thing, business is another.

Dragon

New User
David
Lot of things to consider for residential sprinkler applications. First and foremost...you need a dedicated water supply that is SEPARATE from yuor domestic drinking water. Why you ask? Because the water in the piping may sit there indefinitely without being "exercised" and potentially poison your domestic drinking water. Not good any way you look at it. Check with a qualified fire sprinkler contractor and get their recommendations and advice BEFORE you do any work.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Dragon, respectfully I disagree with your concern about a seperate water supply. There are double check valves (backflow preventors) that seperate the water in a residential fire protection system from mixing with and backflowing into your domestic water useage, just as there are on any commercial sprinkler installation.
The design has several purposes. It keeps you from drinking water that has been in your pipes for "ages", it directs water to the fire in an activation, it stops that "old water" from getting into the distribution system if there is a low pressure low volume problem in the system so you don't drink your neighbor's "old water".
You could always get an aquarium and hope its in the right place. We had a small fire in a pet store in South Asheville that melted the line from the aquarium filtration system and the water from the return line put the fire out! I swear it happened!

Dragon

New User
David
CaptnA you may be correct. I'm basing my intel on my days as a FD Capt. back in the 80's. Even so, I still advise to contact a commercial fire sprinkler installer for info and parts. Also, one could go online and read up on the current NFPA regs and codes.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Dragon, not arguing the point at all. I would not even think about doing my own system, and I'm pretty familiar with the codes and regulations.
I am still an active captain with the city of Asheville Fire Department and hold a certificate as Fire Inspector with the North Carolina Council of Code Officials. I don't know the codes inside and out but I'm familiar with them and know how to look things up in a hurry.
Been doing the fire thing professionally since January 1980, and as a volunteer for a good while before that, and still do both.
If you click to the USFA link- united states fire administration site I put up, they show the standard hook up through your domestic water system.
Same for NFPA 13D, standard for Residential Sprinkler Installation.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
While I couldn't recommend a homeowner installed system either, if someone is willing to go that route, they may consider this option:
Commercial systems use a flow switch which activates an alarm panel when a head is activated.
This type of switch could possibly be made to activate a shunt trip on the main breaker for the area served.
This is all gettin' pretty expensive just talkin' bout it.
The reason you don't see them in more buildings is the cost for water taps and backflows make them non cost effective regarding insurance rate & design savings. And yes, separate backflows are required. If anyone has ever drained a sprinkler system before, they know the water can look like black ink.
The fire & insurance depts. would rather you have a working detection system and ready means of egress. Your shop can be replaced - you can't.

Dragon

New User
David
CaptnA I wouldn't even dream of arguing this point. I've been out of the fire business since 1985 and a LOT has changed over the years. I do have to admit everytime I hear or see big red rolling down the road I get a little choked up. I do miss it so. At my age and after a minor heart attack 2 years ago, I'm not exactly a prime candidate for fire suppression anymore. If I ever get wealthy though, I WILL have my own personal American LaFrance and a home fire suppression system that will boggle the mind.

Straying off the topic here I suppose. Better to have a professional do a little home consultation than to go it alone and maybe fubar the whole thing.

DaveD

New User
Dave
Just some food for thought.

The couple of home sprinkler systems I have seen were in Idaho in homes in certain areas where the city required them so the burning houses wouldn't set the near by forest on fire (hopefully) or the neighbors home.

About a 3" main into the house at 150+ PSI just for the sprinkler system. All done in black pipe. System filled with antifreeze solution similar to what is in cars so it wouldn't freeze in extended power outages.Sprinkler wired to alarm system. Heads hidden behind flat plates that popped down if the head(s) became operational.

Some things I'd think about:
Accidentally hitting a head and having water all over the place.
Plastic pipe that melts at 'the wrong end of the fire' rendering the system useless for fighting the fire.
Low volume and pressure of water (relatively speaking). Heck, even the fire fighters have a hard time containing a fire (much less saving a structure) with their big hoses, high tech nozzles, lots of water, etc.

I'd rather invest in a good alarm system that gets the fire dept there quick rather than a plastic pipe, city water pressure, fire suppression system.

I weld/metal fab and do woodworking and the one thing I religiously practice is the 30 minute 'fire watch' after working in the garage/shop. Also no 'oily' rags kept in the garage/workspace.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm not a firefighter, plumber, pipefitter or electrician but here's my thoughts:

Since electrical problems are a common reason for shop fires how about a master disconnect for the main power coming into the shop right by the door? Throw the switch when you come and go. Would be a lot less expensive and hassle.

Had a buddy in Asheville almost have a tragedy when a big 8/4 board fell into a table saw and somehow turned on the saw when he was away at work. Motor was very hot when he found it running. He put in an extra panel with a big switch between the main line and the breaker box.

Take care of flammable liquids/oily rags, check your dust collector bin and sleep well. Lightning would be your biggest threat after that.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS