But I don't need any new chisels...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claus

Claus
User
Picking up some groceries at Aldi's and saw the chisels on sale. But I don't need any new chisels... but they're only 6.99 and won't be here long. But I don't need any new chisels... but hey, they're only 6.99. Ok so I bought a set. But I don't need any new chisels...

--Claus

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I pick up old chisels at yard sales all the time to give to new woodworkers and for students to practice sharpening.
kinda shocked a guy when I hit one with a hammer a couple times then said here sharpen it.

so, now I do that ahead of time.

was nicely surprised to have two different friends give me a set of these chisels.

Now, we can practice on new clean chisels.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a set of good chisels that are on my workbench. But I keep some in my tool box that are what I call beaters. They are usually still sharp, but I don't object to some one using them to help extract a nail or pry something out of a tight place. If they get chipped I don't worry about it - I just grind them down and resharpen them. They're meant to be beaten on with a metal hammer.

These might make a good set of beaters that you can put in a work box and use when you need one on the road - example is I had to recently replace a door at my old residence and needed to re-mortise the hinge positions - my shop wasn't there so I had to work with what was in the tool box.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought a set some time back and haven't had the opportunity to use them yet. The problem is they're metric and I only have American grown wood....... :gar-Bi

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I picked up a set myself; for me to practice sharpening with a WorkSharp, and then to pass the set on to my son who is doing a little bit of WW now. My beater chisels are from Horror Fright, before I had heard of the Aldi sets.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Bought two sets, sharpened one set, pretty good edge for $7 chisels. Will give the other set to my son for Christmas gift (I'm cheap).:D

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve, the word you are looking for is frugal, not cheap!

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
I have a set I got a couple of years ago after a similar thread here. They take a very good edge which seems to hold up well if you don't abuse the chisel. I'm not sure they'll make good beaters, however, as they seem a little brittle.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I bought a set some time back and haven't had the opportunity to use them yet. The problem is they're metric and I only have American grown wood....... :gar-Bi

I really hate it when that happens Dennis. Our luck runs about the same; I bought a box of nails last week, the heads were on the wrong end of about half of them.:wconfused:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I really hate it when that happens Dennis. Our luck runs about the same; I bought a box of nails last week, the heads were on the wrong end of about half of them.:wconfused:

Don't throw them away. They are for the other side of the house!!!

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I picked a set up for my construction trailer, after putting an edge on them they seem to be holding up well.

The nearest Ali's is about an hour and half away so when in that area I saw the store and said to my wife, "hey let's go there". She loves to cook and loves going to new grocery stores when she sees one. However when the chisels showed up in the cart, she knew this was not an accident we were there. She sarcasticly said "what are they out of clamps?" I turned and said let me go check, I didn't think to look! It was a quiet ride home.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought 4 sets: 1 for me, 1 for a friend, 1 for my son-in-law, and 1 for a newbie woodworker at work. I was pleased as punch and walked in the door and immediately showed my wife the evidence of my bargain hunting prowess. She just looked at me, grinned, and just shook her head knowingly.

I was certain the were going to be $6.99 each until I got the store and saw for myself - such a deal.

Thanks to Nick for posting the heads up.

Matt

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I bought 4 sets: 1 for me, 1 for a friend, 1 for my son-in-law, and 1 for a newbie woodworker at work. I was pleased as punch and walked in the door and immediately showed my wife the evidence of my bargain hunting prowess. She just looked at me, grinned, and just shook her head knowingly.

I was certain the were going to be $6.99 each until I got the store and saw for myself - such a deal.

Thanks to Nick for posting the heads up.

Matt

You must have cleaned them out. None there when I stopped by today. Oh well, I didn't really need them anyway.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Our Aldis in Hickory was closed for remodeling for awhile, or so says the wife when I suggest we should go shop at Aldis. Today she said they are now open, so I'll have to increase the pressure to go shop there, and hopefully score a set of chisels. I love my Marples chisels, but there arte those times you really are reluctant to use them, and so I desire to have a set of Aldis chisels. Can always use advice from wiser minds on how steer my lady to where I want to go, while making it seem like it's her idea.:wwink:

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Can always use advice from wiser minds on how steer my lady to where I want to go, while making it seem like it's her idea.:wwink:

Don't even try. They're smarter than we are.

My wife and I needed go different directions this morning, she to the grocery and me to the drug store. I just went to the Aldi's on the way to the drugstore. No chisels so no evidence,

They may be smarter but I can be sneakier. :cool:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Don't even try. They're smarter than we are.

My wife and I needed go different directions this morning, she to the grocery and me to the drug store. I just went to the Aldi's on the way to the drugstore. No chisels so no evidence,

They may be smarter but I can be sneakier. :cool:
Sage advice Jim! Now if I could just find a reason to go to the drug store, and sneak over to Aldis on the way.............:icon_scra:wink_smil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS