Pete
Corporate Member
Good Ol' Charlie knows some tricks!!!

I like the idea of using that technique to make some unique moldings

pete.

TexasTimbers

New User
Kevin
Charles has a trick or two up his sleeve. He usually has a spare Ace or two also so don't ever play poker with him. :gar-La;

J

jeff...

Thanks Chuck - I watched the sawmill vids two - I like that guy he quarter saws the saw way I do.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Y'all, I have a router attachment that was bought for me as a gift several years ago from Craftsman. It is called a Mill-works Molding Maker model #25254. It is new still in the box as I have never had a complete shop set up to get it out and try it. It looks as if it would do very much like the bump cutting in this video. Although instead of just going straight in for the cut it starts deep and then inclines as it goes in to make it more shallow at the end of the cut. I do think that after seeing this video I will have to experiment with it though as I think I could make some interesting profiles on some different projects that I plan to do. Does anyone else have any experience with this router attachment? Steve

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Cool idea. Question for you experts: I can see how you'd make some neat profiles that way, but is it really the best way to avoid chipout? I'd think taking a couple of light passes would be faster than bumping your way along the whole edge.

M

McRabbet

Tim,

I doubt I qualify as an expert, but I believe this is a good technique for decorative edging using bits equipped with bearings to avoid chipout. I try to avoid climb cuts when routing and do the end grain first. Far and away the majority of my work for this type of edge is done on a router table, but I've done a fair share freehand, too. You can take smaller passes using a fence and I suspect you'd have only minimal chipout, but this is effective and faster. I would not try it to create unique edges with swirls because they would be inconsistent. JMTCW.
Cool idea. Question for you experts: I can see how you'd make some neat profiles that way, but is it really the best way to avoid chipout? I'd think taking a couple of light passes would be faster than bumping your way along the whole edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS