Building my hand tool skills

KurtB

Kurt
Corporate Member
Just finished up a nice little Shaker table using my resto'd hand tools. First time cutting half-blind and through dovetails. I love the look of the cherry!
I really enjoy having to focus and get my oft-scattered mind quieted down.

20221001_091327_resized.jpg
20221001_091344_resized.jpg
20221001_091353_resized.jpg

KurtB

Kurt
Corporate Member
Lovely
What was your choice of finish?
Hitch,
I used a mix of equal parts BLO, Mineral Spirits and Epiphanes "Rubbing Varnish". Used the Epiphanes after watching a video from Chris Becksvoort. He likes it because it doesn't have as much of the UV blocking capacity as some of them do. Makes it easier for the cherry to darken.

I hand sanded through the grits to 400 and then rubbed lightly with 0000 steel wool. Again per Becksvoort noting it avoids blotching.

This finish rubs on really easily and then I wiped it off after about 5 minutes as I work in my garage and it was just getting ready to tack up due to the humidity. I wiped it off a second time and then brought it in over night. Did 2 more coats with overnight dries and a light rub of 0000 steel wool in between. I really didn't need to do the steel wool after the first coat because it was so smooth. Just thought it might help with adhesion. Don't know if that's the case or not.

I like the finish. It doesn't have that "plastic" feel to it that I often get using wipe on poly. Not supposed to be super durable, but very easy to repair if needed.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Really nice piece Kurt. Congratulations on your first step down the rabbit hole. The destination is nice but the journey is better.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I have a few tapered leg pieces that I've made out of walnut. My wife likes walnut so that's what I use (I'm no idiot to threaten domestic tranquility). I have to say, though, that cherry looks so much better when used on a piece with the nice lines and good proportions like that table has.

KurtB

Kurt
Corporate Member
A very nice table. Looks great! Did you hand plane the leg tapers?
Yes, I did. It's a table made from a Chris Schwarz DVD and that's the way he did it. Used a Jack plane and then a jointer plane to square and flatten everything up. It's a good deal of work and I was thinking next time I may try ripping the taper with my hand saw first and then using the planes.

KurtB

Kurt
Corporate Member
I have a few tapered leg pieces that I've made out of walnut. My wife likes walnut so that's what I use (I'm no idiot to threaten domestic tranquility). I have to say, though, that cherry looks so much better when used on a piece with the nice lines and good proportions like that table has.
Yeah. I'm really enjoying working with Cherry the more I use it. I understand now why it's the favorite of so many people. I'm also learning a lot about how to match grain, appearance, etc. on the different parts to give the piece a look that's not too busy or distracting. Everything blends together nicely. Something I never gave that much thought to before.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Excellent job,
Great skill builder and table you will enjoy for a long time!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS