Building a steady rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Gotta love McMaster Carr. Order on Wednesday, receive on Thursday.

Hardware all in except shims coming from NJ. Hope to be welding next week only because I can't get to a welder until then.

Pictures after painting. Stay tuned.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I'd like to see this! I picked up some Rollerblades with decent wheels. I plan to use the wheels for mine...er...when I get a Round Tuit! LOL I planned to make mine from plywood, but hey, maybe after I see your design, I just might have to break out my welder too!

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd like to see this! I picked up some Rollerblades with decent wheels. I plan to use the wheels for mine...er...when I get a Round Tuit! LOL I planned to make mine from plywood, but hey, maybe after I see your design, I just might have to break out my welder too!

I'm using JD Combs' version of Jeff Nicol's design. I'm "Dixonizing" it by using 1/2" plate for the base and shoulder screws for the wheel axles.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Yes, I am curious to see this as well. Please take lots of photos of the process. Need to make myself one of these also. Thanks!

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
101_6299.JPG

101_6300.JPG

101_6302.JPG

This is my version of a steady rest. Made from 1" MDF . Roller arms are 1" hard maple held in place with 3/8" carriage bolts. 1/2" nut set into top of bottom plate with 1/2" all thread through support block under bed ways. I added a 5th roller guide so the turning is sandwiched between the cutting tool and a roller. This eliminates any flexing of the vessel wall when turning the inside. I finish turn to 3/16" and its amazing how much a 16" diameter vessel will flex. This steady rest will fit a vessel up to 17 1/4" dia. Note the place for a "6th" arm. This is so the rest can be reversed when needed and the 5th arm can be used.
The last photo shows where the ends of the arms have been tapered so the rest will work on tapered turnings.

Michael, Be careful with used wheels. They will be impregnated with grit and will tear up your turning. New wheels with 608ZZ bearings are 3.39 on Amazon. May be cheaper other places.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I made one similar to Charlie's for my MIDI lathe. I need to make a larger one for the PM 3520B. I agree with his advice on used wheels. They are cheap and its not worth using something inferior. You can buy the wheels and bearings for them on Ebay or Amazon very cheap. Get extra bearings and make some fidgets. I didn't have any 1" MDF so I just glued two pieces of 3/4" together and made my outer circle out of the resulting 1-1/2" piece. It was plenty sturdy with absolutely no flex in the framework.

I'm also interested in seeing these metal versions.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
Check Lee Valley. I bought a 1/2 doz of these wheels for $3.00 each. I forget the axle size, but they fit a standard size bolt.
They were still in the last catalogue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS