buffing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
I would like to learn more about buffing. I have seen the equipment in catalogs. Can anyone give a quick tutorial or link to one?

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I use the Beall Wood Buff systema nd love it. I shold warn you that buffing wood can be addictive because of the finish this technique produces.
It really is simple. Sand the piece and go through the three buffing steps. the first two use buffing compounds that remove scratches and the final step uses caranuba wax to add the final protection.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/beallbuffrvu.html

gsdoby

New User
Gary
I was referring to buffing wood. I saw a single compound buffing system in a catalog and was wondering about it. Also, would buffing help after applying other finishes.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have recently started applying a coat of paste wax and buffing some. For me, it helps me get rid of the dust specks I many times get in top coat and it evens out the finish for me. I primarily try to use a car buffer I got many many years ago with the appropriate pads.

jglord

New User
John
I've used the Beall Buffing system and use a finish first.

What I've done is use Danish Oil for the finish and apply 4 coats to a well sanded piece. I sand lightly with 400 grit wet/dry paper immediately after each coat and repeat 4 times - total time for a small project is 20 to 30 minutes. The wet sanding helps to fill the pores.

Then I put on a coat of DO, wait 30 minutes and re-coat any areas that look dry. Then you wait. The DO must be completely dry before buffing. On dense wood like brazilian cherry, it took 72 hours to be hard and dry.

Then buff. With the Beall system be sure to use very little of the white diamond on the wheel or you'll get white flecks in the finish.:BangHead:

Here is a picture of a B. cherry band saw box finished as described.

showphoto.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS