Buckeye Burl Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwill48

James
I've seen that several of you have used Buckeye Burl for pens and I have to say its one great looking wood. How is it to work with? And do you use unstablized blanks? I've tried several types of burls lately and have not had the greatest luck with them. The unstablized one's, either fell apart or exploded and the stablized ones looked like plastic. I just found a souce for the buckeye burl blanks and thought I would ask before ordering any of these (not real expensive at $3.50, but still to much to turn into chunks on the floor).

:eusa_clap Also, I would like to Thank everyone who has answered my past posts. As a newbe turner (penmaker) I have a lot to learn. Again Thanks!:eusa_clap

James

clowman

Clay Lowman
I have only turned stabilized BEB. I assume it's stabilized because it WILL fly apart while turning if they are not. Or at least, the chances of it flying apart are very good if not stabilized.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've only turned one pen from Buckeye burl, Dozer has done several. We both use thin CA as we turn to help "stabilize" the wood. You put on a little CA, turn a little more, and then some more CA. I have had good luck with other not stabilized burls using this method. I finish with CA so I get a plastic look to the pen anyway...the finish is plastic, but I think that it probably looks better than commercial stabilized blanks. Another method would be a homebrew plexiglas/ acetone solution like Jeff...used on his spalted Sycamore blanks. That will definitely harden them up.
Dave:)

dozer

Mike
I do pretty much exactly as Dave mentioned. I make sure my tools are sharp and take nice light cuts. I have turned stabilized and nonstabilized I mainly turn non stabilized simply because I can buy a block of wood and cut my own blanks which save a lot of money.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
CA all the way.
the best time to put some more CA on a questionable blank is a few seconds before you had the blow out.
(If you sweep the floor before you start turning you have a better chance of finding the pieces DAMHIKT)

cskipper

Cathy
CA all the way.
the best time to put some more CA on a questionable blank is a few seconds before you had the blow out.
(If you sweep the floor before you start turning you have a better chance of finding the pieces DAMHIKT)
:rotflm:

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Hey James...I have turned a little buckeye and found it to be the most likely, imho, to fly apart. What I have had was VERY dry. It sanded easily, though.

So...to beat a dead horse...use thin CA and you should be fine. The CA will soak in nicely, just be sure it dries before you turn the lathe back on :) Sharp tools...light touch...etc...etc... Good luck and you must post pix of your success!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS