BS blade tension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Do you release the tension on your BS blade?

If you do, why? If you do not, why?

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I do, because there is a quick release lever on my bandsaw and it's easy to do. I'm not sure if I would bother if there wasn't. They say it helps the life of the blade and the machine, and also prevents the blade and tire from getting permanently shaped. In theory I understand this, I'm just not positive if it really makes much of a difference in practice.

If it's not too hard, I guess I would do it.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I do it, because it's easy to do on my Grizzly and it's what the manufacturer recommends. Is it necessary? Hard to tell. Manufacturers recommend all sorts of things, not all of them required. Like using two people to lift a band saw onto the stand (should have listened....)

But - Grizzly makes "value" tools. Not the best, not the cheapest, but usually the best value. If they decided a quick release handle was a good thing on a value tool, it is probably important.

Mike Callihan

New User
Mike
I have 2 band saws, a 20" Northfield and a 14" Powermatic, neither of them have a quick release. If they did I would probably use it but since they don't, I can't be bothered.

Since I don't do it I can't say if it would make a difference. Over the past almost 50 years I have broken a few blades and replaced a couple of tires but I consider that a small price to pay compared to re tensioning my blade every time I wanted to make a quick cut.

Mike

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I would like to, but I don't, on my 14" saw. On the 24" saw, I usually do, but sometimes forget. No quick release on either and just get lazy usually.

It's probably a good idea though ... so do it. :slap:

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I have a 16" bandsaw that doesn't have a quick release. When I first got it I tried to remember to back off the tension whenever I was finished using it, but this got me into trouble several times when I forgot to re-tension it before using it. After this happened a few times I decided that I was doing more damage by releasing the tension than I would by leaving the tension set, so I haven't done it since. If I had a quick tension lever and hung a sign on it that hung in front of the cut line I might remember to throw the lever before cutting, but I would likely forget to release the tension and put the sign back when I finished. I've used bandsaws all my life and never got into the habit of doing this, so it's probably too late to re-train myself now. I'll just buy new tires and blades when it becomes necessary.

Charley

KC7CN

New User
Don
Do you release the tension on your BS blade?

If you do, why? If you do not, why?

I have a 16" Jet steel-frame band saw, that does not have a blade tension release. I tried to release the tension all the time when it was new, but it was a nuisance -- especially when you forget to re-tension the blade.

I can see the value of removing the tension when you are not going to be using the saw for a long period of time (between projects) but other that, I don't bother.

-Don

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I've never actually thought about this. Not sure if I'd want to retension it before each use though. :nah:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I do on my 14" Grizzly, the reason for taking off the tension is to keep rubber tires from developing flat spots and causing problems. If you use your BS once a week or more it probably doesn't matter, but I usually use it less.

Jimmy

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I have a 24 and usually have a 1" carbide tipped blade installed. When in use, the blade is tensioned to 30,000psi and this seems to me to be quite a bit of tension to leave on the saw when I am not using it -sometimes for days. I always release the tension at the end of the day after using it. It only takes about three turns of the wheel and even though it is a PITA., I have gotten used to it, and feel better about it.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
If I had a quick release I probably would but I don't and as a woman, I don't have the strength to deal with the process. I understand that it is important to take the tension off.
Wouldn't it be nice if someone could come up with an attachment that would provide a quick release.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I do take the tension off the blade after each use. (to prevent flat spots?:dontknow:) As a reminder to retension, I swiped this idea from another NCWW member. Place a small spring clamp to the blade after releasing the tension. Spring clamp ahhhhhhh - retension the blade.:wsmile:

HTH

Wayne

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Releasing the tension does two things. It can prolong the life of your tension spring, and it can prevent flat spots on your wheels. It is a good idea to release the tension every time. In addition to the Carter after-market tension release device, you can make a simple cheap one. There are plans in an issue of Woodsmith. I don't have it in front of me but I will try to post the issue and page numbers tonight.

Doug

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
yes, and no...
I do when I won't be using the saw for a while - like a few weeks. if I remember.
For all the reasons listed above. They put this tension release on the saw, charged me for it, so the least I could do is use it (when I remember)
I never did it on the old Craftsman. Guess that's one reason I had to replace the tired old thing.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
I have an older 1938 16" walker turner saw. The only time I release the tension is to changed the blade. I have had the saw for over twenty years. I know the person that had it before I did never took the tension off. I think for some of the smaller cheaper built saws it might be of some benefit, but not doing it for the past 70 years doesn't seem to have hurt my saw.

J

jeff...

Nope the only time I release tension is to change out the band. I also run a little bit more than the recommended tension - helps to make for nice smooth cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS