Bruce (junquecol) in Shop Notes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Looks like another NCWW has been published. I was browsing the new Shop Notes (issue 101) when I came across a tip on page 6 submitted by Bruce Wrenn (junquecol). Congrats Bruce!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

woodArtz

New User
Bob
"To keep from guessing which way to plug in a polarized plug, Bruce Wrenn of Apex, NC adds a dab of paint to match up the plug and slots of the outlets in his shop"

I mismatch the "big plug" with the small slot 90% of the time... :gar-La;. Good idea Bruce!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Just read that tip in my new issue but didn't make the connection.. Congratulations, Bruce!!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
A good idea. I learned some years ago from an electrician about why they made polarized plugs the way they did. On a polarized receptacle, the neutral conductor should always be the larger blade or slot. According to my electrician, the NEC reasoned it should be this way because toddlers are prone to sticking things in these slots (hair pins, nails, paper clips, etc.). The toddlers would usually try to stick something in the BIGGER slot in their research, so they decided to make this the neutral conductor, minimizing the shock risk. This story helps me to remember which is the neutral on a cord or an outlet.
Of course, nowadays it doesn't matter, as they are requiring childproof outlets.

Glennbear

Glenn
Congratulations Bruce, I recently submitted a tip concerning tool cords too, hopefully mine will be accepted also :wink_smil
A good idea. I learned some years ago from an electrician about why they made polarized plugs the way they did. On a polarized receptacle, the neutral conductor should always be the larger blade or slot. According to my electrician, the NEC reasoned it should be this way because toddlers are prone to sticking things in these slots (hair pins, nails, paper clips, etc.). The toddlers would usually try to stick something in the BIGGER slot in their research, so they decided to make this the neutral conductor, minimizing the shock risk. This story helps me to remember which is the neutral on a cord or an outlet.
Of course, nowadays it doesn't matter, as they are requiring childproof outlets.
Thanks Dennis, now I can remember also :gar-Bi

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Worst part of having a tip published is having to drive over to the bank and cash those checks! :gar-La;Ask Joe if you don't believe me.

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Isn't it amazing how those simple ideas are the big winners. Good going Bruce. One question; how long have you been doing that before you wrote up the tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS