Broken blade guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Set up my 10 year old Delta 36-220 miter saw to cut 2x's today and the screw that attaches the blade guard to the control arm broke out of the plastic. This saw survived two moves and no use for 3 years but nothing lasts forever! Went online to see how much a new blade guard is and they are no longer available. I quess my question is: How many out there use there miter saws with the blade guard tied back?:saw:

M

McRabbet

Did the screw break off or did the plastic just break around the hole? If the screw broke off, centerpunch the stub still in place and use a small screw extractor (available at Lowe's if you don't have one) to remove the remainder (it turns counter-clockwise to extract the broken screw). If the plastic broke, follow Mike's suggestion and/or use a fender washer and some epoxy to reinforce the break and to provide a bearing surface for the screw.

As Mike said DO NOT USE THE SAW WITHOUT THE GUARD!

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Fixed it for the time being (threaded screw through back of guard). Now looking for a SCMS to replace!;-)

And, fellas, I wasn't gonna use it without the guard!:saw:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Geoff: When you begin thinking replacement, definitely look at the Bosch 12" slider with laser. I believe it's a 5412L. I absolutely love mine. I learn something new about it each week it seems. Right out of the box, the saw is "dead nuts." You can get a deal on it on Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS