Breadboard ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cato

New User
Bob
I am building a breadboard end table top for a coffee table and was wondering if you need to leave a small reveal or plane it flush with the table top?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to a flush fit. However, it's a matter of personal aesthetics and preference. Check out a recent video series by Greg Paolini at FWW. His Arts & Crafts oak coffee table has Bb ends which are slightly proud of the top.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Why would you want to keep them proud? The top should not move up and down with humidity but rather side to side.

Cato

New User
Bob
Thanks for the input guys, this helps me a lot!!

The table I am building is pretty much from the video series by Greg Paolini at FWW.

This is my first breadboard end and I agree with you guys and would rather have them flush so as not to unbalance a drink etc., but I wasn't sure if there was some structural or wood movement reason that required them to be proud.

I am always just a bit nervous as I tackle some more complex projects. Fun to watch it take shape, but a little nervous that I will screw something up on the table top.

Gregory used all QS white oak, but I chose mahogany and walnut, and left off those little panels at the end of the table cause I liked a little cleaner look to it.

My table base is done, sanded, dry fitted, and just have to cut a few slots for the table top fasteners, so I am going to mill and glue up the top this weekend.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds very nice. Don't forget to post some pictures of the finished product here. For that matter Work In Progress pics are also very much appreciated here.

- Ken.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Why would you want to keep them proud? The top should not move up and down with humidity but rather side to side.

I believe they are left proud in this case to serve as a design element, not for anything structural. I think I would also prefer them to be flush.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Just a clarification for all of us. Quartersawn wood moves up and down across its thickness to some extent, but considerably less across the width. That's why it's a good choice for table tops, etc. On the other hand, flatsawn wood has two components of movement; one is radial and the other is tangential. They're generally in a ratio of about 1:2 respectively. So a flatsawn top can get thicker, but that's less noticeable than the tangential movement across the width.

http://www.tuktupaddles.com/lumber.html

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
So if using the same Quartersawn wood for the top and the breadboard ends the difference in movement across the thickness should be almost identical, one would think.

Just thinking out loud.

- Ken.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
So if using the same Quartersawn wood for the top and the breadboard ends the difference in movement across the thickness should be almost identical, one would think.

Just thinking out loud.

- Ken.

We have consensus. :thumbs_up Perhaps we should solicit other of like mind to go to Raleigh or D.C. Oops! Mea culpa! I gotta learn to think before speaking. ;)

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
For aesthetic reasons (and I really don't like breadboard ends) I will generally assemble the breadboard that then run my router down the joint with a pointy sharp taper bit to create a shallow depressed line. This hides the chipping that occurs under hard finishes as the joint moves. Makes for a nicer transition from one grain direction to the other grain direction.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
For aesthetic reasons (and I really don't like breadboard ends) I will generally assemble the breadboard that then run my router down the joint with a pointy sharp taper bit to create a shallow depressed line. This hides the chipping that occurs under hard finishes as the joint moves. Makes for a nicer transition from one grain direction to the other grain direction.

I like that idea. I'm about to build a coffee table similar to the one mentioned. I may just have to try that. Maybe with a 1/8" bead bit I have. - Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS