Brass-bound "treasure chest"

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I just finished up this project as a gift for my son. It's a "treasure chest" as he is a 2y old who is really into pirates. 12x12x18", small enough that the lid can't hurt little fingers too bad. It's khaya with a padded garnet shellac finish and a coat of black wax. I had tried to use aquacoat for grain filling, but I was disappointed with the results. I did two coats but I think I needed to do at least another coat to get a really level surface. I had most of the hardware leftover from a similar, larger trunk that I built a number of years ago. I had decided the hardware was too small for that trunk but not for this one. After the conclusion of this project, I can confidently say I'm done with hand-mortising brass straps and corners. :D
PXL_20220420_125218293.jpg

PXL_20220420_125006068.jpg

PXL_20220420_003417565.jpg

PXL_20220420_125405206.jpg

I wanted to try something new for this project, so I experimented with etching the brass nameplate using a film photoresist. I printed out the design on a transparency, put the film on the brass, and exposed it to UV light with the transparency on top. (Sunlight also works for exposure.) Using washing soda, I washed off the areas of the film that were unexposed to UV light, revealing the metal beneath. It took a trial to get the exposure time right... overexposure erases fine detail as you can see in the pic of my first attempt below, and underexposure results in all the film peeling off in the washing soda. Then I put it in ferric chloride to etch it for a couple hours. After etching, the photoresist comes off with lye, leaving a nicely etched brass plate. I cut and ground the piece to the appropriate shape, filled in the etching with Mohawk burn-in stick, and buffed to a shine.
PXL_20220417_181735854.jpg

PXL_20220417_181807957.jpg

PXL_20220417_182204239.jpg

PXL_20220416_225746384.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
OK, that photo etch technique is similar to the way I used to make silk screens.
Can you go through that for me in more detail as to exactly the products and timing?
I can PM my e-mail if that would be easier for you.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Very nice! I'm sure your son will treasure it always and down the road realize how much work you put into mortising the brass.

ssmith

New User
Scott
After the conclusion of this project, I can confidently say I'm done with hand-mortising brass straps and corners. :D

Unless you're a carver, that part of the build looks like it would've been quite a challenge. Still, that and the other detail work you put into this really gives it a lot of character. I'm sure your son will consider it a prize.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors