Box Elder Burl - huge defect???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hello,

I am loving the burl on this piece, but there's a huge defect where I was goings to have the bottom. What should I do?
?
IMAG0487.jpg

View image in gallery[/center

Thanks for any advice​

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
face it off flat and glue on a waste block with a brown paper bag between the burl and the block. turn a tenon on the block and use you're chuck or attach it to a faceplate. when you are done with the piece turn off the block or split it off and sand the bottom of the bowl.

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
I agree with FredP but would consider soaking the inclusion with CA glue first before flattening it. Then when you get to the bottom on the inside, the inclusion should be stable or at least more stable and, therefore, safer and more likely to stay in place as you shape the bottom of the inside.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Referring to Cathy's remark about staining, if it is noticeable I will go ahead and soak the whole piece in the CA. Think of it as a cost of production. Going back to the original post, if I have a nice blank with a defect, I usually make up a patch with glue and sanding dust. If you fill the defect carefully, it often becomes invisible and looks like a natural feature.

Roy G

Rob

New User
Rob
I make a mixture of DNA and dewaxed Blonde shellac, Like one tablespoon to a spray bottle, spray my piece, let dry, then use CA glue on cracks and inclusions. Helps the CA sand off much easier, the CA doesn't stain as bad either.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
It's hard to see from the picture, but the defect is 1/2" to 3/4" deep so filling a defect that huge would stand out...At least I think it would.

I think I will just do what Fred said and glue a waste block on, and I use Sanding sealer to strengthen the void for the inside. That way it wont stain. I only have maybe a half ounce of thin CA and about 3/4 of a gallon of sanding sealer.

Thanks for the replies, they have truly helped.

Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS