Box build helping hand & fun (day 3 pics added)NEW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

JRD (Jim) and I are helping each other out. I had expressed interest in having him teach me to turn the beautiful travel mugs he makes. He responded that he would be glad to help and was wondering if I could help/teach him to build some boxes as gifts for his family. This sounds like a perfect North Carolina Woodworker opportunity.

Jim came by today and we started work on the 4 boxes he needed. He had reclaimed some oak from pallets at work and he had the great piece of maple burl he won at the last North Carolina Woodworker picnic. We took measurements of the wood he had and came up with a design. Here is our work today. We jointed & ripped the stock, used a cross cut sled to miter to size and dadoed for the bottom. We cut off a chunk of the burl, band sawed it about to size, jointed an edge and resawed it in half. He will take the materials home and sand the inside of the box and one side of the burl flat and smooth. It might be a few weeks until we meet again, so hang on for more pics.

The first 2 are of the rough stock.

jim%20.jpg

jim%201.jpg

This is Jim cross cutting the sides. (Do you like the hold down? Guess what it is.)

jim%202.jpg

This is of the sides machined.

jim%203.jpg

This is the burl cut close to size.

jim%204.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Re: Box build helping hand & fun

toolferone said:
This is Jim cross cutting the sides. (Do you like the hold down? Guess what it is.)

Looks like a paint stir stick?

You guys have made a great start on the boxes. Can't wait to see that maple burl on the box(es).

Looking forward to seeing the end result! Sounds like you guys had a blast!

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:

cpowell

New User
Chuck

The hold down looks like wood to me. Am I right? :lol: :lol: :slap:

That burl looks nice! :eusa_danc

Keep the pics coming.

Chuck

T

toolferone

Wayne, you are the winner!! It is a paint stirrer.

DaveO

New User
DaveO

You're not done yet :lol::lol::lol::lol:
You should be able to crank out 4 boxes in a day :roll::roll:

Those are going to be some really nice boxes, that slab of burl was spectacular.

Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie

Wish I was a little closer to you, I want to make my wife a fancy box for Christmas. Your pics help a lot. Keep us "posted."

JRD

New User
Jim

Tom,

My most sincere, Thank You!

We had a blast today working on these boxes. To have the opportunity to learn another aspect of woodworking is fantastic for a guy who's experience has been limited to watching wood revolve and then attack it with turning tools.

For what it's worth, Tom's a GREAT teacher! I can't wait to have the opportunity to get back together and finish these boxes off. Hopefully I'll also be able to repay Tom for his time with a trick or two on the lathe.

Folks, this is what NCWoodworker.net is all about. Friendship, fellowship, and sharing our time and talents. I'm proud to be a very small part of
of a group of such fine people.

Jim

T

toolferone

Here is day 2 and we got the boxes glued together, the burl pieces cut for the tops and the slots cut at the corners for the walnut splines. Sorry I did not take many pics this time. Jim will chamfer the burl edges and glue them in and plan and cut the walnut spline stock at home. Our 3rd get together wiil be to glue in and sand flush the splines, cut the box open, mortice for the hinges, and install a catch of some kind.

jim%205.jpg
jim%206.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Re: Box build helping hand & fun (day 2 pics added)

Looks like they are coming along nicely :eusa_clap:eusa_clap. I like seeing that someone else uses a miter key sled like mine, except mine is a whole lot more cut up...need to make me a new one 8-O

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS