Bowl Turner...Jamie...Jamey...and the big green lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Hey Guys, a few years ago i ran across a video of a guy that was approximately 25-30 years of age, white male that was turning bowls on a big green lathe. Never seen a lathe like that since or prior to. Herein lies the dilemma, I think the guy's name was Jamie, may have been Jamey...cannot recall his last name for the life of me and do not know to relocate his videos. Is anyone familiar with this guy. His narration and style really appealed highly to me. He constantly narrates while turning and carries on general conversation about elements regarding 'do it yourself' type adjustments to personalize one's equipment.

Not sure of the brand of the lathe. Large green floor model.

He might have been located in the UK, not sure although he didn't have a significant accent.

can anyone advise?

thanks, Chris

Truefire

New User
Chris
No. Not Jimmy Clewes or Glenn Lucas.

Now Gary you might be on to something with the "union graduate". That seems to be 'somewhat' close to the target actually. Appears to have been a lathe variety of that manufacture perhaps. Although the lathe in question was filled-in underneath the lathe-ways with factory cabinetry and the lower pulley access door was located on the front of the lathe housing. All of the Union Graduates that I noticed online had end access. But the overall profile seemed really close to that brand.

As mentioned earlier, I believe this guy is definitely across the Atlantic ocean - ??somewhere??

But at that time of discovery however, he has multiple media resources floating around here in the states. So its not a shot in the dark.

The gentleman's descriptors, for what it is worth: white male approximately 5'6" - 5'8", medium frame 150-180 pounds, foreign accent ---sorry cannot advise ballpark geographics based on accent...i just cannot put my finger on it

thanks

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is WAY off base Chris, but were you thinking of Richard Raffan?
I know the name doesn't fit, but the accent might and he did a bunch of videos and there are you tubes out there of him on some kind of "green beast" I think Craft supplies loaned some for a video series...

Truefire

New User
Chris
Hank, no it was not Richard, I am familiar with Richard. I'm still looking, as far as I know the lathe he owned might have been some variety of a Union Graduate. Man, I wish I could locate this guy's information online somewhere. I have been looking for months now.

Who knows? I might have his name wrong, might discover the guy and his name could be 'chris', wouldn't that be a treat! :rolleyes:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yea, I figured I was off with Raffin - but better to suggest it and you say no, than not to suggest at all!
Do you remember what he was turning?
Was it a You Tube video or DVD, VHS BEAT (just kidding!)

Truefire

New User
Chris
Yeah Hank, I know and I appreciate it.

He was turning both green and cured woods (bowls) on a large lathe using various type bowl gouges many of which he made his own handles for. Had a large green lathe, similar to some of the Union Graduates but it was filled in completely underneath the lathe bed with factory paneling and shelving. He had bags of sand in this area to knock down on vibrations because he turned some significant pieces occasionally. I just really like his style of teaching, explanations and turning. You know like Roy Underhill, you understand how different Roy is, then you could appreciate the different style of teaching that this guy possessed. Although, both are entirely different.

I had watched a video, it was a dvd...one of the reasons I am having such difficulty locating. I do not think he has any youtube videos that I can find. But then again, he may. There are thousands up there at youtube to filter through. thanks a million.

chris

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
Sounds like Del Stubbs to me. The lathe was green but may have been a General; he showed a clutch type foot gizmo for the drive; same sand for ballast. Showed chucks including "new" CA product, a little on forms with mirrors. Lots of different stuff. Produced in the mid 80's.
I think he is still around but have not heard anything of him in woodturning expect other turners who made videos and they stated they learned from him. I think he was on the west coast.

Rick M

New User
Rick
There is a Jamie (I think) somebody from Australia that used to be on youtube but I believe he removed the videos. I know that isn't much help except to expand your search to another continent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS