Bowl Gouge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I'm looking for recommendations for a Bowl Gouge to use with my Delta Midi lathe.

So.....

Which gouge should I buy....why?

Should I get one with the Ellsworth grind....why?

What size 1/2" or 5/8....why"

Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have a crown with regular grind and a sorby with elsworth grind and use them both a lot! 3/8" on both. the rason for that is I bought them to use with a mini. larger bowl gouges take bigger cuts and the mini's just aint up to the task. had I known I was going to a larger lathe I may have bought larger but haven't seen the need so far.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have 2 gouges, a 3/8" and a Crown Pro-PM 1/2". Both have a fingernail grind on them. The PM has an Ellsworth grind (official) and it is swept back a bit farther than the 3/8" (which was ground with the Wolverine settings). I haven't done much turning with a normal gouge grind, but I think the fingernail grinds are less prone to catching, and offer more versatility. The Pro-PM 1/2" gouge can cut more than my lathe can handle. I haven't had it long enough to determine if the PM metallurgy will hold an edge longer than regular HSS...it better the gouge wasn't cheap.
Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
I have the Sorby 3/8 gouge, reground to fingernail. I invested in a good heavy duty bowl gouge because of the control needed with the long handle and lack of vibration when the overhang over the tool rest is a bit long. I think other tools can be a bit lighter weight - but what do i know???

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I ordered one from PSI. It is suppose to have the fingernail grind, not as shown in the photo. I didn't pay much but it should be good enough for me to learn how to use and sharpen. Then maybe later I can get a better one if my skill improves to the point I think I need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors