bosch router problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnS

New User
Shawn
I finally got around to building a router sled this weekend while I had time off work. After using the plunge base for my Bosch 1617 router for dimensions. So I went to take the router out of the router table and slide it into the plunge base. Got everything ready to go and hit the switch, nothing happened. Did I screw something up, or has my router died? I really hate to spend another couple hundred bucks on a router. I've had no luck lately with tools, keeping all the tools working gets expensive!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
If it has seen use in your router table for a while, it may be wise to just blow some compressed air at the switch. I have had similar issues and the blow with compressed air did the trick.

I have two routers living in my router tables and I try and remember to periodically pull them out and clean off all the dust that builds over time and give the motors a wipe down as well.

Hope that this will resolve your issue.

Wayne

ShawnS

New User
Shawn
Thanks, I'll try that this evening when I get home, can't hurt it at this point. I did some research and it seems that router has a history of switch trouble, I even though about just going ahead and buying a switch. Its 10 bucks on amazon, which would be much cheaper than a new router.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
If there is a Bosch service center near you, the switch might be cheaper. I replaced one recently on my Porter Cable 690. It was less than $3 and took 10 minutes.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have had to blow the saw dust out of the switch on my Bosch 1617 when use in the table several times. I just take a fine blade screwdriver and pop it out some and used canned air. If I notice it not going up to full speed, I grab the canned air. That said, a couple of times it was very sudden. Working fine, turned it off, and it would not turn back on. I don't know if the new switch has better dust control or not. I also shoot some air in around the speed control wheel at the same time. Guess its the nature of the beast. Other than that irritation occasionally it has been a really good router.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS