Bosch Router (Good Deal?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Definitely upgrade from the Skil, you'll like the Bosch a lot better. The price is so-so right now, not terrible, not great.

Amazon.com Price: $193.97 2009-12-16 17:46:30 PST
90 Day Range: $179.69 - $203.97; High Delta: 4.9%; Changes: 3
All Time Overall Range: $179.69 - $234.32; Number Of Sellers: 11
All Merchants Overall Range: $165.00 - $289.99

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Wow, prices have gone up!!. I got mine at Lowes with the edge guide, vacuum attachments and the guide bushings (just 3) for $232 about a year and a half ago. It was on special, tho, so that price looks good for today.

Good router with one caveat:

The on-off rocker switch is not sealed, and the motor running pulls in fine sawdust through the switch, resulting in it not turning on, or underpowered, when the switch loads up. I have had to remove the switch and blow it out with canned air twice already, and I use the router only occasionally. This may be fixed on the newer ones, and I do not have a dedicated router table (just a makeshift top made from a computer desk surface), so this may not be a problem if you have good vacuum pickup on your table. Plunge mechanism is a bit stiff, also.

You may want to look at one in a store first, because this will probably be a lot heavier than the Skil, and more top heavy with the plunge base. Just so you are aware.

Go

araldite

New User
araldite
I bought one from Amazon almost exactly one year ago for $201.49, so the price has come down a bit. I've been real pleased with mine but I wish the fixed base had a D handle; just my preference and I've gotten use to it. Also, it's my hand held router; I've never used it under a table; my old Elu 1117 is dedicated to that. But I've read that some people have experienced problems with it under a router table. Read some of the Amazon reviews.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
I also have the older model, got it about 3 years ago. I picked up a second fixed base to leave in the router table. I also upgraded from a skill, and I went from hating to use my router to finding excuses to use it. It is a great kit.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I also have the older model, got it about 3 years ago. I picked up a second fixed base to leave in the router table. I also upgraded from a skill, and I went from hating to use my router to finding excuses to use it. It is a great kit.

Yep, that's how I feel. I ruined a table leg on the SKIL, Bit started walking out of the collet on one of the coves I was cutting. It walked so quickly that it slung the bit in the dust collection on my table. RUINED a beautiful piece of maple.:wsad:

Anyway, how much power do I need to turn a standard panel bit?

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
That's not a bad price, I've seen lower but it's been a long time.
I have the Bosch now for about 5 years I think and it does make routing a pleasure.
If you're like me and not afraid of recon tools, CPO has the Dewalt DW618 kit for $150.
I've had it for a year or so and like it as much as the Bosch. The Bosch is in my router table and I use the DW for hand routing. The recon has the Dewalt one year warranty.
Just another choice in the mix, $150 is a very good price for the 618 kit.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Good router with one caveat:

The on-off rocker switch is not sealed, and the motor running pulls in fine sawdust through the switch, resulting in it not turning on, or underpowered, when the switch loads up. I have had to remove the switch and blow it out with canned air twice already, and I use the router only occasionally. This may be fixed on the newer ones . . .

Yes, they replaced the it with a sealed switch.
You can order one here:
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/bosch-1617evs-0601617739-router-parts-c-128_1119_3070.html

pete

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
So got this panel bit set from grizzly last year. Will 2 1/4 hp turn a 3 1/2" panel bit?

Zach.

I have made several raised panels (using poplar) with my DW618 2 1/4HP router with no issues. With the variable speed, just slow the router way down and you should be ok with multiple passes.:icon_thum

Wayne

M

McRabbet

The biggest issue you may encounter is the size of the opening in the base of the router. A 3-1/2" panel bit is a big one and while this router does have variable speed to allow you to run at the lower speed required for a big bit, I'm not sure you'll have enough power to raise a panel in less than 3-4 passes. I use a 3-1/2" Milwaukee 5625 VS router that can be regulated down to 10,000 RPM and it handles smooth panel raising in 2 passes. It also has through-the-table adjustment so its fixed base is all I need. I do admit that I just bought a Woodpecker PRL-V2 router lift for it so I can attain more accurate bit increments from above the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS