Boric Acid or other solution for wood protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorm

New User
Dorm
I have a somewhat small stack of rough sawn material which I dearly want to protect. Most of it is oak, SYP, some maple, poplar and mahogany. All of it is lying around the shop in various stacks, except a bit of rough sawn oak, which is stacked outside on stickers. I am about to finish a shed extension to my barn, which will have a lumber rack to permanently store all of this and get it out of the shop. My question is should I spray some type of insecticide on the wood, while stored outside in the rack to ward off bugs; i.e. beetles and borers?

I've read (ad nauseum) about heat treatment, kiln or other drying processes and will definitely do this on an "as used" basis. I have the heater, an insulated box, thermometers, et al for this. But prior to using, is there a boric acid mixture or other such solution I can put in a pump spray device and thoroughly coat the material with? I've seen advice for controlling ants and such, but the quantity seems too small for what I had in mind. And neither am I sure of what the appropriate mix is. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ciao ... Dorm

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Here is the MSDS sheet for Tim-bor:

http://www.biconet.com/crawlers/infosheets/TimborMSDS.pdf

You may also wish to consult with the manufacturer directly concerning your application.

Thank you - found what I was looking for:

Ingestion: Products containing Tim-bor are not intended for ingestion.Tim-bor has a low acute toxicity. Small amounts (e.g., ateaspoonful) swallowed accidentally are not likely to cause effects;swallowing amounts larger than that may cause gastrointestinalsymptoms.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Do you have a hot attic that you can store the lumber in? If so heat sterilize it and move it into the attic.

Rewetting dry lumber should never be your first choice, as it causes the wood cells to expand and then contract on the surface, and surface checking will result.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
No problem here with checking or other water related issues on ~1000bf of different lumber I've sprayed over the past 15 or so years...SYP, RO, WO and Maple. Mostly freshly cut, some half dry and some very dry WO with active PPBs which I pre-sprayed with water at about 1 gal/200 sqft. I've always stacked and stickered in the shade after spraying and the boards were dry the next day. 1-2 gallons spread over 200 sqft of rough board face is not very much water. The rough surface wicks the water away very fast leaving the Timbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS