Bookcases complete. Pictures availiable to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
I finished my book cases today. Delivered them and installed them. I made it a personal point to keep a photo journal of the entire project. I have posted pictures in my gallery, please be sure you check them out. Here is the details of the project. There are some details on each picture you may find useful.

The project is made from:
- 10 sheets of 3/4 cabinet grade plywood
- 4 sheets of 1/2 plywood for the backs
- 4/4 poplar hardwood for faceframing
- 1 sheet of 1/2 MDF for the raised panel doors.

The poplar face framing is joined together with pocket screws, made with a Kreg jig. The raised panel doors were raised on a table saw.

I made the dados for the fixed shelfs with a router and guide jig I made. Adjustable shelf holes made with another jig.

There are a total of 12 adjustable shelves in the upper cabinets, behind the doors, and 2 adjustable shelves in the lower cabinets.

There was one particular challenge with this project. The customer has a fuse box that the 2nd cabinet had to allow access to. I don't have a picture of the finished solution I provided, but it did work very well. This picture will be posted as soon as the customer sends it to me. It is much easier to show than describe. But it is low tech, very functional, and looks good.

I will post the final pictures of the installed face framing when I get them as well. Also, pictures of the doors in place will be posted as soon as the customer finishs painting them and hanging them.

This is the largest project I have ever undertaken. I started it on 11/21, and delivered them today.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

cskipper

Cathy
:eusa_clap That's terrific! I don't have the courage or skill to take on such a project. I'm sure you are relieved to have it done. Great job.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, from what I see so far that looks great. I can't wait to see it all finished. IMO the most incredible thing is that you did all that 16 days, are you unemployeed:lol: :lol: Great job:eusa_clap

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Nice work! I am curious about your doors -- what material are they made from? How did you hold them on your table saw? I made a jig based on an article in WOOD (Sept 2005, pp 60-62) and used the method they discuss for my recent ones. My jig is in my Gallery under Shop Pics and an example of the doors in my Projects category. BTW, in the unit I built, I recessed shelf standards in a 3/8" deep stopped dado so the standards are flush and use clips for shelf adjustment (they never wear out like hole can).

I'll look forward to your finished photos.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Rob... I set the blade to 12 degrees, and ran them through using a feather board and 0 clearance insert. The panels are MDF.

clowman

Clay Lowman
2 new pictures availiable of the completed project. I think they plan on adding color to the trim work after relatives vacate the house after Christmas. They put 2 coats of primer, followed by 2-3 coats of paint. Looks pretty good.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Boy, those did turn out really nice Clay.:eusa_clap I don't know why but for some reason I was thinking the doors were going to be mounted at the bottom of the bookcase.:slap: Great Job, you can be proud of those.

D L

T

toolferone

They was a huge job and it looks great!

One thought, I thought it is against code to hide the electric panel like that.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Against code? Don't know anything about codes! It has a sliding door that allows access to the fusebox. I didn't think about a code violation there. I'll mention it to the homeowner. Thanks for that!

T

toolferone

clowman said:
Against code? Don't know anything about codes! It has a sliding door that allows access to the fusebox. I didn't think about a code violation there. I'll mention it to the homeowner. Thanks for that!

I think it something to do with clear space around it and being easy to locate by emergency crews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors