Bookcase tie to sloped ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arguseyed

New User
Jeremy Taylor
For those of you a lot smarter than me, how would you suggest I tie a built-in bookcase into a ceiling like this? The sloped part of the ceiling meets the wall at about 120° and the bookcase will intersect at about the mid point of the slope. I've thought of just leaving it flat at the top and attaching some crown moulding to finish it off but not sure I'd like the look of ±6" of airspace to the ceiling (won't look "built-in").

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jeremy

DaveO

New User
DaveO
How much space is there from the front edge of the bookcase to the ceiling directly above it? If there isn't a lot you could make a decorative panel that would raise the top edge to the point where the crown moulding would be able to finish it off. Are the sides exposed, or is the front the only place you have to deal with the ceiling?

Dave:)

Arguseyed

New User
Jeremy Taylor
Dave,

Roughly measuring, I'd say about 6". The sides will not be exposed, the bookcases are going to run along the entire wall. My initial thought was to extend the plywood sides of the bookcases beyond the top of the bookcases and cut them at an angle to match the ceiling/wall. I thought this would give me some structural support beyond the top of the bookcase for attaching the top rail and molding. My biggest concern is back cutting the crown molding to match the 120 degree angle where the ceiling meets the bookcase. I know that's going to take a creative jig for the table saw. :eusa_thin

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hmmm :eusa_thin I may be misunderstanding your question. Does the slope of the ceiling run up from the back to the front of the bookcase or is it side to side?

Dave:)

Arguseyed

New User
Jeremy Taylor
This might help. I created this and forgot to include in original post :eusa_doh:

Ceiling.jpg
[/IMG]

fergy

New User
Fergy
It would depend on the rest of your architecture and trimwork, but I'd build a standard square bookcase and consider leaving it short, to create a "curio cove" above it, or fill out the void space with some sort of frame and panel construction that matches the rest of the bookcase and trimwork. The top of the frame can be trimmed to match the ceiling angle, and if you're really creative, the crown can be attached to that panel alone. Then you don't have to worry about back-cutting the crown.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
When you 'bed' the crown to go against the ceiling it will be out of proportion to the section you would be coping to for the wall crown. You will need to back cut the top bedding area of the crown at the wall/ceiling section 30 degrees but not the rake up the slope. The simplest way to make this transition is with a plinth block in the corner at the bottom of the rake. The top can be fitted easily in the ridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors