Blast Gate Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I've noticed that all my plastic blast gates don't close completely. Due to the design there is a gap at the closed position, about 3/8" wide.
I think I see how to remedy it by taking the doors out and shaping the sides at the bottom.
I guess my question is, is there a reason they are made to not close completely? Maybe to prevent complete lack of flow to the DC if all gates are closed?
Thanks,
ken

meika123

New User
Dave Snider
Ken,
I had the same problem. I solved mine by going to the aluminum gates, and haven't had a problem like this since. It can get a little more expensive, but I honestly like them better.
JMO, yours may vary.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
You sure you don't have sawdust down in them. It has a way of collecting down in the bottom and won't let the gate close. You can remedy it by drilling a couple of 3/8" holes in the corners on the side that is raised. Wish I had a picture to show you where. Anyway, with these holes in place everytime you close the gate sawdust works it's way out and keeps the track clean. I'll try to remember to take a picture of one today and post it tonight.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
You sure you don't have sawdust down in them. It has a way of collecting down in the bottom and won't let the gate close. You can remedy it by drilling a couple of 3/8" holes in the corners on the side that is raised. Wish I had a picture to show you where. Anyway, with these holes in place everytime you close the gate sawdust works it's way out and keeps the track clean. I'll try to remember to take a picture of one today and post it tonight.
Nope Robert. 2 new, unused ones are the same as ones I have installed. thanks for the thought, tho.

sediener

New User
Steve
It might allow for a little flow when you close all of them so your tubes don't collapse? Or just a bad design.

- Steve

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
3/8" is a pretty big gap. Unless you have a really good DC that can take that kind of loss, that could be trouble. Better gates might be the answer, I got aluminum ones that were only a fraction more expensive than the plastic ones, and they close all the way. I don't see how this could be a design "feature", there is no real reason to worry about lack of airflow due to all the gates being closed.

Of course, you could ask Alan to build you some blast gates, complete with air-controlled controllers, sensors and flashing lights :)

M

McRabbet

Unfortunately, you get what you pay for -- I'm sure the manufacturer would claim it is a design feature! If I were you, I'd make my own blast gates -- we have some ideas in the Link Library and I've got some pictures of ones I made a few years ago. Alan Schaffter's are a nice design (even without the pneumatic cylinders) that are easily made. I'm not sure what you are using for ducts, but if it is 4" PVC, I'd use 4" couplings cut in half to insure an unblocked opening. I believe Alan used laminate for his gate slides and made each slide long enough to provide a full opening and a full block, passing in one side and out the other. I made mine with 1/4" Baltic Birch. HTH.

meika123

New User
Dave Snider
Ken,
If you're interested, I have approx. 6-8 "new" 4" plastic gates you are welcome to. PM or email me if you are, and we'll put something together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS