Blades for Grizzly G0555

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I recently purchased a new GRizzly G0555 Bandsaw with the 6" riser block. Just got it assembled the other day (pics of all to follow in another post).

My question is what blades to get? The vast majority of posts that I've looked through recommend the 1/2" woodslicer for resawing, so that's on the list. But what other specific blades would any of you recommend for the bandsaw newbie?

Timberwolf seems to be the other brand that comes up most, but what sizes, configurations for someone with next to zero experience? Honestly I don't really know what I am going to use the saw for most... So I want to have the basic options covered. I obviously can't say money isn't a problem, but at $13-$30 a blade I think I can swing four of them right now... Meaning I want to order them now, before I can't swing them!!!

I recently saw a post on this forum about "woodcraft blades?" Not sure if I'm remembering the name right... Has anyone other than the original poster used them? Opinions?

Any other blades I should look at or consider?

Matt

PS. I was told by someone here that if I didn't have pictures then it didn't happen... So here's my saw, I will provide a write up of the assembly soon.

SortofDone-sm.jpg

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Matt I pulled this off of Grizzly'z web site.

"Increase your G0555 14" Bandsaw's cutting capacity to 12" high with this bolt-on 6" extension block kit. Includes all necessary hardware plus extended blade guard and 3/8" x 105" x 6 TPI blade."

Which I thought that it was going to be a 105" blade.

I too have a grizzly 14" Bandsaw with a 6" riser block added.
A word to the wise here, ensure that your wheels are coplaned.

As far as a recommendation I would suggest a carbide blade.
I personnally use a 1/2" blade, but there are times, depending on what type of cutting that you will do, that you will need other sizes.

The carbide blades are expensive. But they cut like butter and last a very long time.
HTH.

MAC

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have the same saw, but don't have the riser block yet. Besides the 1/2" Woodslicer, the blade I use most is a 3/16" 4TPI general purpose blade (also from Highland Woodworking). I also have a 1/8" cheap Ridgid blade for fine work, but it's a little "flimsy". Grizzly shipped a 1/2" Timberwolf resaw blade with the saw, it's good but I like the Woodslicer a little better. But the Timberwolf is a good blade.

Quality matters most for resawing. For everything else, I don't think you need to be terribly picky. I suggest you pick a couple of different sizes ( e.g. 1/8, 3/16, 3/8 ), and figure out what you use and what you like. There are lots of subtle differences in TPI, tooth angle, material, etc. I'm too much of a novice to understand the impact.

As for a carbide blade - no experience here, but it makes sense they'd be durable and sharp.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Nice Saw. Let me be the first to say that YOU ROCK!
Now back to the question at hand. Based on everything I have read, mainly here. A 3/8 blade is the most versatile for all around use. I purchased a timberwolf 3/8 from Klingspor this past weekend for 27.00. I also got a 1/2 timberwolf at Woodcraft in Roanoke Virginia this weekend. I am gonna install the 3/8 and try it first. Like you I am a new band saw user.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have always used what Woodcraft carries (Timberwolf I think) and have been quite happy with their performance. I use a ½" for resawing, ¼" for general purpose curve cutting, and a 3/16" for bandsaw box type work and tight radius stuff. The ½" stays on the saw most of the time, and I have developed work arounds to avoid changing it when I need to cut tighter curves...I'm lazy.

Dave:)

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Matt,
I think you are referring to Woodcraft Bands. They are in Vilas, NC which is just west of Boone. Their blades are okay and much less expensive than TWolf. I've bought from them several times. Google them, they have web site.
Another place you might want to check is your local sharpening service. They usually cut and braise them to order using Lenox or Sterling stock.
Rob

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a HF (General brand) BS with riser I bought from Mark (Tarhead). He was generous in that he supplied me with a couple 3/8" 6 TPI Lernnox blades which work well for most pattern-type work. I bought a couple of 1/2" Timberwolf (one 4 TPI and the other 6 TPI) as the Timberwolf blades do not require as much tensioning which can be a problem on the less expensive saws. The 1/2 x 4 TPI has worked well for me resawing up to 10" red oak and 8" black walnut, and stays on the saw most of the time. I get straight cuts and the blades track true. I echo Skysharks in that coplaned wheels make a world of difference in the saw's performance.

Rule of thumb is that you want 3 teeth in the thickness of wood at one time for maximum speed and least resistance while allowing enough depth of gullet to remove the sawdust without burning/binding. For finer cuts needing less sanding (Ex: bandsaw box) you want to up the number of teeth per inch but realize you need slower feed to allow the blade to remove the saw dust. Obviously, for resawing over over 1" width this is not possible, so 3 or 4 TPI is generally what you will want unless you are doing veneer work, where more TPI will give a smoother cut.

As for blade width, the largest you can use for the radius is usually best. 1/2" will cut a 2 1/2 radius, 3/8 will cut a 1 7/16 radius, and 1/4 will cut a 3/8" radius according to Lonnie Bird in his "The Bandsaw Book". I have my doubts about the 1/4" but have never tried it.

Based on the above, I would buy a good quality 1/2 by 3 or 4 TPI for resawing, a good 3/8 by 6 TPI for general work on 1/2 to 1" thick stock, and possibly one 1/4" for any tight work. If you want another blade while the $$ are available, I would go for the 1/2 x 6 TPI to give the straightest cuts and still allow a wider range of wood thickness.

I have had good luck with Lennox and T'Wolf. Others cuss them, so I won't fall on my sword for either as a brand. As you can tell by my saw, I am definitely not a pro user.

JMTCW

Go

Threejs

New User
David
I am looking forward to your write up, as that is next on the list of things to buy for the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS