Black Walnut Book Ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward Delcogliano

New User
Ed
Started these back in 2007 and finally completed them for my son. Finished with clear satin poly finish. photo 3.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 1.jpg

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Lookin' Good!
. . . and it only took 5 years! :wwink:

Did you ever find your 15" wide Mahogany?

Edward Delcogliano

New User
Ed
Hi Pete, I haven't found my 15" Mahogany yet. Thought I had 4 boards that were around 23" wide but that fell thru the other day. Still looking.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Those look fantastic!

I'm going to show my wife this post...it should buy me some time on those projects that have been going for 2 years :)

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
2 years? Is that all. I've got you beat on several now.

But back on topic - very nice bookends. That must have been a very nice chunk of Walnut that they came from.

Did you rough them out on a bandsaw and finish by hand carving? Interested in the process.

Thanks for sharing.

Edward Delcogliano

New User
Ed
Hi Ken, I used 3/4" 40 year old Black Walnut boards. I glued 5 boards together for the main part of the bookends. Used a band saw to shape the curve part then carved the curve beads and scallops. Band sawed the 2 boards for the other parts then carved them and then glued them to the 5 boards. The bottom and side boards where cut and used a router to shape the edge. The hardest part was carving the the end grain scallops of the 5 boards glued together. The Black Walnut was hard as a rock to carve. Ed

2 years? Is that all. I've got you beat on several now.

But back on topic - very nice bookends. That must have been a very nice chunk of Walnut that they came from.

Did you rough them out on a bandsaw and finish by hand carving? Interested in the process.

Thanks for sharing.

MagGeorge

New User
George
Those are classy and elegant looking bookends. Great design and great carving. Like the beautiful finish. Great job!

Edward Delcogliano

New User
Ed
Thanks George, the design is not mine, got it out of one of the carving magazines about 6 years ago.

QUOTE=MagGeorge;459227]Those are classy and elegant looking bookends. Great design and great carving. Like the beautiful finish. Great job![/QUOTE]

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Please enter these in the Calendar contest - we need more entries and you will likely win one of the gift certificate prizes.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Simply upload a high-res picture to the gallery that is set up for this. When you go to Gallery and select upload there is a drop-down that defaults to your member gallery. You use that drop-down to select 2014 Calendar and then the sub-gallery would likely be small items in your case. They won't show up immediately as entries have to be validated and approved. It is a very simple process.

Let us know if you have any difficulties doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS