bike gear foot powered lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blues

New User
john
Has anyone made a foot powered lathe using a bike sprocket? I saw Don Webers. Looks pretty cool. I am going to take a hacksaw to an old 10speed and try to make one for an 8 foot lathe. Want to see if I can turn a 7foot bed post for kicks. :icon_scraI'll post it it works. Maybe I can get it done before the klingspor event...? maybe this should be a neander post...?

02blues

New User
john
foot powered lathe using bike gear / sproket

Has anyone made a foot powered lathe using a bike sprocket? I saw Don Webers. Looks pretty cool. I am going to take a hacksaw to an old 10speed and try to make one for an 8 foot lathe. Want to see if I can turn a 7foot bed post for kicks. :icon_scraI'll post it it works. Maybe I can get it done before the klingspor event...? My spring pole works fine but I do like the thought of unidirectional turning!:icon_thum

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Re: foot powered lathe using bike gear / sproket

Cool idea, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Jim

nelsone

New User
Ed
Has anyone made a foot powered lathe using a bike sprocket? I saw Don Webers. Looks pretty cool. I am going to take a hacksaw to an old 10speed and try to make one for an 8 foot lathe. Want to see if I can turn a 7foot bed post for kicks. :icon_scraI'll post it it works. Maybe I can get it done before the klingspor event...? maybe this should be a neander post...?

If it works....????? Heck, post if it doesn't work! I want to see the concept! Besides if it doesn't work right off, maybe the brain trust here can help with ideas!

02blues

New User
john
Thanks guys. I have the Weber article and the diagram. Someone I contacted is going to visit him and is going to send some photos along.
I will probably try to come up with some variation. The spring pole really is fine but want to try the other method for kicks and too have a larger capacity lathe on standby.I will post some pictures if it comes to life.

Anyone know where I can get a hold of untreated 6"x6" stock? Lowe's sells treated for 20$.I want this one to be massive. It will be an excuse to try a few timber framing joints too.

thx.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm going to guess you don't require kiln dried 6x6.

Cates Sawmill in Hillsborough might just be the answer. He does custom work as well as having a mountain of cutoffs.

He does a rather large buisness in sweet gum railroad ties, which happen to be close to 6x6.

If you want, I can dig up his card when I get home.

Jim

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I would encourage not using a fixed gear sprocket, and fastening some sort of flywheel to this contraption.

02blues

New User
john
dpanda:

Thanks for the link.
Love those old articles. I like to imaging someone making this in the fifties in the basement. They made it work with little money! Determination. I do want to include a grinding wheel on mine too. Handy and will halp in the fly wheel category.

I agree a fly wheel would be helpfull. I want to read what they made theirs out of.

thanks.
:icon_thum
John

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
No basis in fact, just a random neuron misfire in my mind....

A motorcycle wheel might work as a flywheel. If you got one that took a tube, you could also fill the tube with water, making it easier to transport.

Of course, they didn't have motorcycles in the 18th century :-/

Jim

02blues

New User
john
I am thinking about using the bike wheel itself. Maybe remove the tire and use the hub or metal wheel to hold the belt...?
problem solving...:icon_scra

That concrete fly wheel was a cool idea too!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Concrete flywheel should go a long way to your wining the "most muscle on one leg" contest next year!

As an aside, in that class, use of a spring pole lathe came up. Adam mentioned that he could work a lot faster as the torque (?) was so much greater than a spinning type of drive. He also mentioned he converted his Jet evil-electric-powered lathe to work on a spring pole.

Lucky for me, I know someone who I can now pester for comparisons :p

Jim

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good luck. You're really gonna hafta gear that thing up to get any speed. I think a standard gearing set will get you to ~12MPH without any excess strain, or about 18 feet per second. If you want to achieve about 600 fps to get a good cut on wood, and with a workpiece diameter of 3", that'd be ~8 - 900 rpm. 600/18=33.3:1 gear ratio from the bike wheel. Of course, YMMV. I'd recommend using either a gear belt or a serpentine belt like today's cars use to minimize friction loss.
Have you thought about using the bicycle wheel as a mounting point for some ballast attached to the spokes to act as a flywheel?
I gotta ask, will this be a 2 man operation, or will the 'cyclist' also be doing the turning?
Oh, and WE GOTTA SEE PICTURES!:icon_thum

dpanda

New User
Dan
One of the concerns I would have on the 8 foot length is the comment the article made about the trendle:

"the treadle, which must be correspondingly lengthened is apt to twist when pedaling is done at the tailstock end."

So if you have an 8 foot bed, you have to be able to pedal over that whole length. If you make an 8 foot trendle, I could see how the trendle could twist and rack.
It's just something to think about.

If you have someone else pedal you wouldn't have to make a long trendle.

Dan

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
with a 52 tooth big sprocket, and a 13 tooth small, and a cadence of 105 rpm, the turner would achieve a 420 rpm at the spindle. some additional gearing could achieve higher speeds, but adds to the complexity of the construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS