BIG THANK-YOU to Joe Scharle for his generosity

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to the industrial arts teacher at Franklin Academy Middle School. Franklin Academy is a public charter school in Wake Forest and just started offering a middle school industrial arts class last year. Already, it is one of the most sought after electives at the school. Too often we hear/read about school systems shutting down their IA classes due to liability or other reasons so I was delighted to hear that someone was establishing a new class. As you might imagine, funding for the class is very limited so they don't have much equipment and what they do have is very basic. The class is set up in a "normal" class room so space is also very limited. One thing the teacher mentioned he would like to get is a portable router table. When I came across a post Joe made about having a Porter Cable portable router table, I sent him a PM asking if he would be interesting in donating it to Franklin Academy. Well, I just received the router table yesterday and want to publicly acknowledge Joe's kind donation. Unfortunately, because of my work schedule/family commitments and the distance between my house and Joe's, I had a friend who lives near him pick it up so I didn't get a chance to meet Joe (by the way, Joe, thanks for working with me on pick-up). I haven't yet had a chance to deliver it to Franklin Academy (it is a year-round school and they are tracked out right now) but I know they will be excited to receive it and I am certain they will put it to good use. Joe, thank-you very much for your donation.

I also asked the teacher to let me know if there were any other items he might need/want for his class but I have not yet heard back from him. I know one thing he said he needed was 4" flexible duct and fittings. He has a dust collector (not sure of type or size but I am under the impression that it is only large enough to handle one machine at a time) but does not have any flex duct so he is making due with a shop-vac. If anyone has any flexible duct lying around, just let me know.

randwool

New User
Randy
Good reading. Perhaps the teacher could be urged to sign up on the forum and let folks know the progress of the students. I thought Industrial Arts classes in school had went the way of the Dinosaur.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to the industrial arts teacher at Franklin Academy Middle School. Franklin Academy is a public charter school in Wake Forest and just started offering a middle school industrial arts class last year. Already, it is one of the most sought after electives at the school. Too often we hear/read about school systems shutting down their IA classes due to liability or other reasons so I was delighted to hear that someone was establishing a new class. As you might imagine, funding for the class is very limited so they don't have much equipment and what they do have is very basic. The class is set up in a "normal" class room so space is also very limited. One thing the teacher mentioned he would like to get is a portable router table. When I came across a post Joe made about having a Porter Cable portable router table, I sent him a PM asking if he would be interesting in donating it to Franklin Academy. Well, I just received the router table yesterday and want to publicly acknowledge Joe's kind donation. Unfortunately, because of my work schedule/family commitments and the distance between my house and Joe's, I had a friend who lives near him pick it up so I didn't get a chance to meet Joe (by the way, Joe, thanks for working with me on pick-up). I haven't yet had a chance to deliver it to Franklin Academy (it is a year-round school and they are tracked out right now) but I know they will be excited to receive it and I am certain they will put it to good use. Joe, thank-you very much for your donation.

I also asked the teacher to let me know if there were any other items he might need/want for his class but I have not yet heard back from him. I know one thing he said he needed was 4" flexible duct and fittings. He has a dust collector (not sure of type or size but I am under the impression that it is only large enough to handle one machine at a time) but does not have any flex duct so he is making due with a shop-vac. If anyone has any flexible duct lying around, just let me know.

May want to ask some cabinet shop's or woodworking suppliers. There hopefully is someone on here who has some extra laying around in their shop. I myself have only two 5ft pieces which are in use. Maybe there are some national or private grants they could get a hold of. I've heard Georgia Pacific gives special grants out from time to time.

wooduser

New User
Lecil
I have an old Craftsman router table and some 4" dust piping I would be willing to donate to an industrial arts program at a public school. That is something this country needs more of, industrial arts classes.

Lecil Alexander
Burlington, NC

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
maybe if there was alist of needed items could be obtained and posted here i am sure many of us have some unused or extra items in our shops we would be willing to donate to this most worthy cause as i am sure most of us have fond memories of our school shops days.

jhreed

New User
james
Joe is just an all around good guy. He cannot help it. And, He does take off that 3 piece suit from time to time.

DWSmith

New User
David
Sounds like a fine opportunity for the Outreach program to expand to. Adopt an IA school program!

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
will this work? the 21 or 28ft long one, I forget
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21316&site=ROCKLER
as well as some black fittings and a 4" 6-8ft long pipe

I just have the hose from rockler but none of the rockler fittings. the ones I have are the standard ones from woodcraft

I think that hose would work very well for them. I don't think they are to the point where they can install permanent pipe but I will check. If you are interested in donating the hose, send me a PM. I can get you a receipt from Franklin Academy. Thanks,

Chris

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
I have an old Craftsman router table and some 4" dust piping I would be willing to donate to an industrial arts program at a public school. That is something this country needs more of, industrial arts classes.

Lecil Alexander
Burlington, NC

Lecil, I will check with the teacher about a 2nd router table but I know he said he was limited on space (and I don't know if he has 2 routers ;)). If the dust piping is flexible pipe, I am sure he would be interested. Like I mentioned to Steve (zapdafish), I can get a receipt for any donations. Thanks.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
maybe if there was alist of needed items could be obtained and posted here i am sure many of us have some unused or extra items in our shops we would be willing to donate to this most worthy cause as i am sure most of us have fond memories of our school shops days.

I agree. I asked him for a list but haven't received anything yet. I will contact him again.

Last edited:

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
I have a box full of 4" fittings of all varieties plus a box of 2" or 2 1/2" fittings and a number of length of the same size clear rigid dust tubing from Woodcraft if that will help (maybe make some runs from their shop vac?) I'm almost 2 hrs east of Raleigh and rarely get to the "big city", but I will be meeting a fellow NCWWer near RDU in the next week or so if that helps. Let me know.

wooduser

New User
Lecil
The hose is a flexible hose and about 20 ft long. I have some extra fitings to go along with it also.

Lecil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS