BIG Router Bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

smessick

New User
Stan Messick
I need to use a crown molding router bit for a project I'm working on. I bought the bit and, looking at it in my hand, it's HUGE. I guess I can set everything up with jigs and clamps and take VERY shallow cuts until I get the profile I need.

Any thoughts out there? Thanks.

Stan Messick

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
slam your wood on the table saw first to cut a similar profile of the molding bit. Then take a four or five step cut, after that keeping your final cut very thin, that way you get a super smooth finish that requires little to no sanding. Also if your using a wood that will gum up your bit take the time to clean up the bit at least for the last two cuts to keep the cut smooth and clean. Hope this helps.

Ohh ya if you can make a zero clearance for the bit that will almost eliminate chipout.

DavidF

New User
David
Main thing to remember is to slow the router down to min speed, normally 12,000. If yours is not adjustable don't do it! I had to hire a router with speed control for a weekend just for one cut, but it was worth it! Take small cuts and you'll be fine.

Charles M

New User
Charles
Stan,

You didn't say what bit you have but most crown molding bits are vertical (similar to vertical raised panel bits). Freud's can be run in three passes. Be sure to use a strong, tall fence and lots of feather boards and don't run lengths shorter than 2'.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
If you have the means, a power feeder is an amazing thing as I have recently learned. Consistent, even, and smooth feeds for long stock. The baby feeders work, albeit not a lot of strength, but regardless, if you can, I would.

DavidF

New User
David
If you have the means, a power feeder is an amazing thing as I have recently learned. Consistent, even, and smooth feeds for long stock. The baby feeders work, albeit not a lot of strength, but regardless, if you can, I would.

Not the power feeder again Travis......:lol::lol::lol: I'm going to have to use that thing next time I come up!!!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The NEW POWER FEEDER, and yes, you will definitely have to use it. I wish I had one on my jointer, tablesaw, bandsaw, etc, etc, etc.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS