Big Red Oak

Status
Not open for further replies.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
:eusa_danc Hi everybody, Just a few pix fer ya'll. This is a big redoak I did this weekend. The pix don't do it justus.

DSCF1257.jpg

DSCF1259.jpg

DSCF1256.jpg

DSCF1255.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice scenic location to saw also. I assume that you went mobile to the log, it doesn't look like your pole barn :-D

Dave:)

J

jeff...

That looks like an awesome place to be, I'd put that last picture in a frame and hang it on the wall, for memory sake.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Yeah DaveO, I did go mobile, this is at my Daughter's place. They have lots of big oaks. I'm selling it for semi-trailer decking. Crane rental outfits love it. I can cut outrigger pads in a flash :lol:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nice Randy! The pics are pretty fascinating for those of us who don't have bandsaw mills. Gotta be tough getting that log onto the mill :eusa_thin

Thanks for sharing,
Roger

J

jeff...

Roger - looks like he parbuckled onto the mill it with his pickup truck (chain 2nd picture), I don't think 10 men could lift that log 8-O.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have two 12' and two 6' ones about that size that have been in my yard since last sept. When I pulled them up from the hill from where the tree guys dumped them my 4WD in low range would only spin all 4 tires on the one, which is why it is now two 6'rs and the truck weighs over 5000 lbs, so I guess they are definitely heavy!!. (Just hope there is enough left for some good wood. All I have is an old 16" Stihl chain saw to mill them, tho.).
That mill is an awesome beast!!

Go

PS A word to the wise: two months after I moved them is when I went in for the hernia operation.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Hi Gofor, Where do you live? I know you could use some wood. You have built some pretty stuff. I am in Waxhaw how far am I from you?:drunken_s

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
About 250 miles from you:cry:. Otherwise you would have already seen my ugly face:-D When they were cut down last year, I looked for a sawyer, but with the travel cost of the one I found in the area (Raleigh, about 60 miles to his place) I could do better buying from a mill. Jeff was still getting up and running at the time and not mobile yet as I recall. Until I split one open, I don't know if the bugs have ruined them or not, so I'm not going to spend a lot of bucks on them 'til I know more.
With all the good wood I saw laying around here rotting or just pushed into piles as they cleared land for future housing or business sites, I seriously thought about getting a mill and starting a business. Methinks I'm a bit long in the tooth to start an enterprise like that now, tho.

Go

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Yeah it is a lot of work if your doing it as a living. I just do it for fun and a little side money. I don't have to do it at all, so that makes it really cool to me.:lol: Maybe oneday we can get together and mill some of yer's ya neva know. It's a blast .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS