biesmeyer manual needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
or not. I cant seem to find any info about removing the laminated sides from a bies fence. :dontknow: I have one that has a slight bow and would like to straiten it. I've lived with it for several years but the time has come to make it better. anybody have a clue how these things come off?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Fred,
I have a small scrap of white Formica laminate that will fit. I can bring it to the picnic if you want it. Easy to remove the warped side and replace it with a homemade one out of MDF. Probably more stable than the Baltic Birch ply they used too. Access to the screws is under the laminate. The old laminate comes off with a heat gun/old clothes iron and a putty knife.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred,
I have a small scrap of white Formica laminate that will fit. I can bring it to the picnic if you want it. Easy to remove the warped side and replace it with a homemade one out of MDF. Probably more stable than the Baltic Birch ply they used too. Access to the screws is under the laminate. The old laminate comes off with a heat gun/old clothes iron and a putty knife.

thanks, I have laminate and mdf. I was hoping it would be a much easier fix. If and when I do it there will be a much better solution.:icon_thum I'm thinking newel post anchors. the kind that slide on a taper. I'm only lookin at a few thou. so it's livable right now. I probably wont laminate them either. wood and wax with countersunk holes should suffice. :gar-Bi If I make them easy to remove shimming later could be done in minutes if needed. I'll give it some thought....:gar-La;

sapwood

New User
Roger
thanks, I have laminate and mdf. I was hoping it would be a much easier fix. If and when I do it there will be a much better solution.:icon_thum I'm thinking newel post anchors. the kind that slide on a taper. I'm only lookin at a few thou. so it's livable right now. I probably wont laminate them either. wood and wax with countersunk holes should suffice. :gar-Bi If I make them easy to remove shimming later could be done in minutes if needed. I'll give it some thought....:gar-La;

I tried the mdf with countersunk holes on the old grizzly. It was an improvement, but not great. And I used cards to shim, too. In the long run I suggest replacing the fence. Heck, Fred . . . just buy a new cabinet saw :gar-Bi

Helpfully rendered,
Roger

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Other methods to flatten??

Depends how much the laminate is bowed and how thick it is, could the fence laminate be sanded, planed, or scraped smooth?

The directions seem minimize the effort to apply heat or acetone to take off the laminate. Probably a bigger job to then get all of the glue off the wood side, but maybe not once it is softened up with a hydrocarbon solvent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors